Updated Oct 5, 2012 - 5:13 pm
Wedge said Figgins handled himself well this year
We didn't hear much from Chone Figgins after the Mariners' utility man lost his starting job in May and played sparingly for the rest of the season.
Mariners manager Eric Wedge was asked about Figgins' comments when he joined "Brock and Salk" on Thursday.
"He's handled himself as good as he can considering the tough situation he's in, so that doesn't surprise me," Wedge said.
Figgins has been the definition of a bust since signing a four-year, $36 million contract with the Mariners after an All-Star season with the Angels in 2009. He's hit just .227 in three seasons in Seattle, including a career-worst .181 in 2012.
Figgins' first two seasons in Seattle were so bad that there was some thought the Mariners would cut bait before the 2012 season. Instead, they gave Figgins a chance to return to his customary leadoff spot, and he was benched a little over a month into the season.
"We gave him another opportunity at the beginning of the year, it didn't work out and that was it; we couldn't take it any further," Wedge said. "We utilized him as we felt like we needed to, and he didn't play very much but showed up and did his work every day."
Figgins is signed through 2013 and his contract has a vesting option for the 2014 season.
"It's unfortunate it hasn't worked out here but we'll just have to see how we navigate things this winter," Wedge said.
Bonneville Media encourages site users to express their opinions by posting comments. Our goal is to maintain a civil dialogue in which readers feel comfortable. At times, the comments can descend to personal attacks. Please do not engage in such behavior. We encourage your thoughtful comments which: have a positive and constructive tone, are on topic, are respectful toward others and their opinions. Bonneville reserves the right to remove comments which do not conform to these criteria.
- Gary Hill
The real reason for the Mariners' struggles
- Brock Huard
Where Russell Wilson has shown the most growth
- Bob and Groz
Which Seahawk is most impacted by Harvin?
- Where Russell Wilson has shown the most growth
- Which Seahawk is most impacted by Percy Harvin?
- Taking issue with Marshawn Lynch's OTA absence
- Another PED ban doesn't mean Seahawks are cheaters
- Strong reviews for Golden Tate, Doug Baldwin
- Bruce Irvin's misstep changes Seahawks' outlook
- More Seattle Seahawks »
- Seattle MF Evans added to US training camp roster
- Johnson scores twice as Sounders beat FC Dallas
- Neagle's two goals lifts Sounders over Earthquakes
- Traore lifts Sounders to 1-0 win over Sporting KC
- Martin lifts Sounders past Rapids 1-0
- Sounders sign former Virginia forward Will Bates
- More Sounders FC »