Updated Nov 1, 2013 - 2:38 pm
M's decline options on Gutierrez, Saunders
SEATTLE (AP) - The Mariners have declined 2014 options on outfielder Franklin Gutierrez and left-hander Joe Saunders.
Gutierrez and Saunders each get $500,000 buyouts. Both players originally signed deals with $7.5 million options, and Saunders' price escalated to $7.9 million based on 32 starts and 180 innings pitched.
The pair became free agents.
Gutierrez appeared in just 173 of the team's 486 games over the past three seasons with six separate trips to the disabled list. In 41 games last season he batted .248 with seven doubles and 10 home runs.
Saunders went 11-16 with a 5.26 ERA in 32 starts last season with the Mariners.
Pryor appeared in just seven games last season before being placed on the disabled list in April with a tear in his right latissimus dorsi muscle.
Seattle also reinstated right-hander Stephen Pryor from the 60-day disabled list.
(Copyright 2013 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)
Please login below with your Facebook, Twitter, Google+ or Disqus account. Existing MyNorthwest account holders will need to create a new Disqus account or use one of the social logins provided below. Thank you.
- Wyman, Mike and Moore
'Russellmania' gets one Seahawk star treatment
- Brock Huard
Chalk Talk: Wilson and Baldwin beat Saints' blitz
- Shannon Drayer
Mariners' Jack Zduriencik isn't tipping his hand
- Seahawks notebook: Percy Harvin held out of practice
- 49ers' Joe Looney takes on key offensive line role
- Chalk Talk: Wilson and Baldwin beat the Saints' blitz
- 49ers remind fans about 'home field advantage plan'
- 49ers prepare to stay composed in emotional game
- What we learned from Seahawks' win over Saints
- More Seattle Seahawks »
- Rick Rizzs and Toys for Kids make thousands of area children happy at Christmas
- Mariners notebook: Robinson Cano talk heating up
- Seattle hires Wilson as minor league coach
- Notebook: Mariners close to signing Willie Bloomquist
- Howard Lincoln on the Mariners' search for a president
- What's next in the Mariners' search for a president?
- More Seattle Mariners »