Updated Nov 15, 2012 - 6:43 pm
Mariners tout new, huge scoreboard coming to Safeco Field
By MyNorthwest.com staff
The Mariners say Safeco Field will have the largest scoreboard in Major League Baseball, and among the largest in all of sports, when the new system is installed.
The actual viewing area of the new high-definition screen in center-field will be almost 10 times the size of the current screen. It measures 56.7 feet high by 201.5 feet wide, the equivalent of about 2,182 42-inch flat screen TVs.
"Northwest sports fans have never seen anything like this. From the high-resolution imagery to the dynamic presentation, this new video screen provides the flexibility to present real-time game information in a way we've never been able to do until now," Kevin Martinez, Seattle Mariners Vice President of Marketing, said in a news release.
The new Panasonic HD video screen, which replaces Safeco Field's original scoreboard installed in 1999, has a resolution of 1080p x 3840 screen resolution.
"1080p live sports is an experience unavailable in ballparks or to home viewers, until now. It's like the difference between normal HD programming and a Blu-ray disc, except displayed on an enormous scale," said Dave Curry, Seattle Mariners Vice President of Technology. "You'll be able to see details like blades of grass and the texture of the infield dirt."
The screen can also be programmed for live action or video replays or split up for graphics, animation, and stats.
Other improvements to the broadcast and information systems, along with the installment of the new scoreboard, will be completed before the Mariners' home opener on April 8 vs. the Houston Astros.
Please login below with your Facebook, Twitter, Google+ or Disqus account. Existing MyNorthwest account holders will need to create a new Disqus account or use one of the social logins provided below. Thank you.
- Shannon Drayer
M's notebook: Robinson Cano talk heating up
- The Pete Carroll Show
K.J. Wright stood out in Seahawks' dominant win
- Brady Henderson
Notebook: Avril, Bennett team up for touchdown
- 49ers prepare to stay composed in emotional game
- What we learned from Seahawks' win over Saints
- 12th Man flag to fly high above San Francisco Sunday
- The Pete Carroll Show: Praise for K.J. Wright
- Hawk Talk: Live Seahawks chat with Danny O'Neil
- Seahawks notebook: Avril, Bennett team up for score
- More Seattle Seahawks »
- Seattle hires Wilson as minor league coach
- Notebook: Mariners close to signing Willie Bloomquist
- Howard Lincoln on the Mariners' search for a president
- What's next in the Mariners' search for a president?
- Mariners President, COO Chuck Armstrong to retire
- Lloyd McClendon's coaching staff is complete
- More Seattle Mariners »