Updated Nov 20, 2012 - 11:12 am
Seattle trades Robinson to Baltimore for Andino
SEATTLE (AP) - Looking to add depth to the infield, the Seattle Mariners acquired versatile Robert Andino from the Baltimore Orioles on Tuesday in exchange for reserve outfielder Trayvon Robinson.
The trade instantly gives the Mariners an experienced infielder who can play second base, third base and shortstop. Andino is likely to fill the role held this past season by Japanese infielder Munenori Kawasaki.
"With Robert having major league and playoff experience and still relatively young, we thought that it made sense to make this trade and let him come in and compete," Seattle general manager Jack Zduriencik said in a statement.
Despite struggling at the plate, Andino has played in 266 games the last two seasons for the Orioles. Andino started 106 games last season for the Orioles, including 96 at second base, but also spent time at shortstop and third base.
Andino is out of options and is arbitration eligible. The trade left Seattle's 40-man roster at 37.
Robinson played in 90 games over the past two seasons for the Mariners. He hit .215 in his limited major league time, but was caught in a log-jam of outfielders, along with Mike Carp, Casper Wells, Carlos Peguero and Eric Thames, seeking playing time with the Mariners.
(Copyright 2012 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)
Bonneville Media encourages site users to express their opinions by posting comments. Our goal is to maintain a civil dialogue in which readers feel comfortable. At times, the comments can descend to personal attacks. Please do not engage in such behavior. We encourage your thoughtful comments which: have a positive and constructive tone, are on topic, are respectful toward others and their opinions. Bonneville reserves the right to remove comments which do not conform to these criteria.
- Brock Huard
'No way in the world' that Russell Wilson is No. 51
- Bob and Groz
Is replacing Zduriencik the right move for M's?
- John Clayton
Video: Clayton trains for his big moment at Safeco
- Seattle drops 7th straight in 9-5 loss to Texas
- Berkman, Baker power Texas past Seattle 9-5
- Seattle designates Andino calls up Sucre, Triunfel
- With Andino reportedly on waivers and Miller on the move, what's next for the Mariners?
- Law: Zduriencik's seat 'getting hotter by the day'
- Zduriencik says Ackley, Harang staying put for now
- More Seattle Mariners »
- Seattle MF Evans added to US training camp roster
- Johnson scores twice as Sounders beat FC Dallas
- Neagle's two goals lifts Sounders over Earthquakes
- Traore lifts Sounders to 1-0 win over Sporting KC
- Martin lifts Sounders past Rapids 1-0
- Sounders sign former Virginia forward Will Bates
- More Sounders FC »