Updated Dec 4, 2012 - 3:16 pm
Safeco Field honoring Edgar Martinez with new outdoor patio, restaurant
The new gathering places will be called "Edgar's" in honor of former Mariners great Edgar Martinez.
The Latin-inspired restaurant and patio replaces the Flying Turtle Cantina, what used to be known as the Bullpen Pub, and the hand-operated scoreboard in left field. The changes were made possible when the Mariners decided to move the fences in at Safeco Field.
The scoreboard will be moved to a new facade above its current location and all but a few dozen seats in two sections will be removed. That allowed the M's to raise the roof on the new restaurant and patio.
"Being asked to be part of this new project at Safeco Field is a great honor. Safeco Field is already one of the best ballparks in baseball and the new restaurant and lounge will only make it better. I hope the fans have a good time at Edgar's," said Martinez in a statement.
The new open air lounge will take up about 1,100 square feet and have a similar feel to the popular gathering place behind the center field wall.
The new restaurant and lounge will feature a Latin-themed menu similar to the current restaurant, offering everything from tacos to tequila. It will feature Martinez' line of artisanal mezcal, known as Zac. The Mariners Hall of Famer and one of the greatest Designated Hitters in baseball will make occasional appearances at Edgar's during the season.
Along with the new restaurant and altered fence dimensions, the M's are also adding a massive new LED high-definition scoreboard as part of a $15 million improvement plan for the stadium. The team says all the improvements should be completed in time for Opening Day on April 8.
Follow Josh Kerns, MyNorthwest.com Reporter
Please login below with your Facebook, Twitter, Google+ or Disqus account. Existing MyNorthwest account holders will need to create a new Disqus account or use one of the social logins provided below. Thank you.
- Danny O'Neil
Should the Seahawks have let the 49ers score?
- The Pete Carroll Show
Surgery upcoming for Seahawks' K.J. Wright
- Shannon Drayer
M's should be busy at baseball's winter meetings
- What we learned from the Seahawks' loss to the 49ers
- Seahawks will wait and see with center Max Unger
- 49ers hand out cards telling fans to sit down
- Seahawks' K.J. Wright to have surgery on broken foot
- Seahawks burned again by 49ers' Frank Gore
- Seahawks' slugfest loss an example of what to expect
- More Seattle Seahawks »
- Mariners' statement from Zduriencik on Times article
- For Mariners, plenty of work to be done in Orlando
- Ten things you should know about Robinson Cano
- Pundits weigh in on Mariners' deal with Robinson Cano
- Reports: Mariners land Robinson Cano on 10-year deal
- What to make of Cano's meeting with Mariners
- More Seattle Mariners »