Updated May 23, 2013 - 4:26 pm
Mariners send slumping C Montero to minors
SEATTLE (AP) - The Seattle Mariners sent slumping catcher Jesus Montero to the minor leagues Thursday, a year after acquiring him in trade full of potential that hasn't panned out for either side.
The Mariners optioned Montero to Triple-A Tacoma. He has 72 hours to join the club.
The 23-year-old Montero is hitting .208 with three home runs and nine RBIs. He's also been a designated hitter, and there are concerns about his impatience at the plate.
Seattle got Montero from the New York Yankees after the 2011 season. Montero made a nice impression in a brief call-up that year, hitting .328 with four homers and 12 RBIs, and the Yankees traded him and pitcher Hector Noesi to the Mariners for pitcher Michael Pineda and a minor leaguer.
Montero hit .260 with 15 homers and 62 RBIs last year in his first full season in the majors.
Montero had been splitting time with backup catcher Kelly Shoppach in recent weeks. The Mariners will make a corresponding roster move Friday _ their catchers in Triple-A are defensive-minded Jesus Sucre and touted prospect Mike Zunino.
Pineda, an All-Star as a rookie in 2011, has been injured and not pitched yet in the majors for the Yankees.
Pineda is currently pitching in extended spring training games and could be ready to start a minor league assignment after one more extended start early next week. He threw Thursday, which lines him to pitch again Tuesday.
(Copyright 2013 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)
Bonneville Media encourages site users to express their opinions by posting comments. Our goal is to maintain a civil dialogue in which readers feel comfortable. At times, the comments can descend to personal attacks. Please do not engage in such behavior. We encourage your thoughtful comments which: have a positive and constructive tone, are on topic, are respectful toward others and their opinions. Bonneville reserves the right to remove comments which do not conform to these criteria.
- John Clayton
Video: Clayton trains for his big moment at Safeco
- Wyman, Mike and Moore
GM says Ackley, Harang staying put for now
- Shannon Drayer
Zduriencik on Montero's demotion and future
- Seattle drops 7th straight in 9-5 loss to Texas
- Berkman, Baker power Texas past Seattle 9-5
- Seattle designates Andino calls up Sucre, Triunfel
- With Andino reportedly on waivers and Miller on the move, what's next for the Mariners?
- Law: Zduriencik's seat 'getting hotter by the day'
- Zduriencik says Ackley, Harang staying put for now
- More Seattle Mariners »
- Report: Seahawks' Anthony McCoy has torn Achilles
- Ex-Seahawk Mike Williams resurfaces in CFL
- Seahawks sign local product Justin Veltung
- Where Russell Wilson has shown the most growth
- Which Seahawk is most impacted by Percy Harvin?
- Taking issue with Marshawn Lynch's OTA absence
- More Seattle Seahawks »
- Seattle MF Evans added to US training camp roster
- Johnson scores twice as Sounders beat FC Dallas
- Neagle's two goals lifts Sounders over Earthquakes
- Traore lifts Sounders to 1-0 win over Sporting KC
- Martin lifts Sounders past Rapids 1-0
- Sounders sign former Virginia forward Will Bates
- More Sounders FC »