Updated Feb 6, 2013 - 6:52 pm
Agency says no connection with Florida clinic
SEATTLE (AP) - The agents who represent Seattle Mariners catcher Jesus Montero and Toronto outfielder Melky Cabrera say no one at their agency has ever heard of or knows anyone at the Florida anti-aging clinic currently under investigation by Major League Baseball.
In a statement Wednesday, Sam and Seth Levinson say no one at their agency, ACES, had ever heard of Anthony Bosch until his name surfaced in news reports recently.
The New York Daily News reported Wednesday that Montero is named in records from Biogenesis of America LLC. The Miami New Times recently released clinic documents that purportedly linked Cabrera, Alex Rodriguez, Gio Gonzalez and other players to purchases of banned drugs from the now-closed anti-aging center.
"Anyone who knows us, knows that it is absolutely ridiculous to think that we would ever condone the use of performance enhancing drugs," the Levinsons said. "We are not involved and do not have any knowledge as to what took place or who was allegedly involved."
Cabrera was suspended for 50 games last year following a positive test for testosterone. A consultant to ACES, Juan Nunez, took responsibility for fabricating a website that Cabrera was intending to rely on in the union's grievance to overturn the suspension. An investigation by the players' association concluded the Levinsons didn't know about the scheme but failed to properly manage the employees of the firm who tried to carry it out.
The Levinsons said Nunez stopped working for ACES as soon as they learned of the scheme last summer. They also represent Gio Gonzalez and Nelson Cruz; Gonzalez has denied the allegations on Twitter and Cruz has denied them through a lawyer.
(Copyright 2013 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)
Please login below with your Facebook, Twitter, Google+ or Disqus account. Existing MyNorthwest account holders will need to create a new Disqus account or use one of the social logins provided below. Thank you.
- Brady Henderson
Seahawks notebook: Penalties add up in loss
Photo gallery: 49ers 19, Seahawks 17
- Shannon Drayer
Pundits weigh in on Mariners' deal with Cano
- Seahawks lose 19-17 at San Francisco
- Dawson go-ahead field goal lifts 49ers by Seattle
- 49ers edge Seahawks 19-17 after late field goal
- Seahawks missing Percy Harvin as expected
- Hawks-49ers will come down to who's the best team
- Report: Brandon Browner declines lesser suspension
- More Seattle Seahawks »
- Pundits weigh in on Mariners' deal with Robinson Cano
- Reports: Mariners land Robinson Cano on 10-year deal
- What to make of Cano's meeting with Mariners
- Willie Bloomquist talks about his return and hints at more moves to come
- Mariners' Jack Zduriencik isn't tipping his hand
- Rick Rizzs and Toys for Kids make thousands of area children happy at Christmas
- More Seattle Mariners »