Updated Feb 7, 2013 - 2:51 pm
Report: Mariners, Felix Hernandez nearing new deal
You might also be interested in:
According to a tweet from Bob Nightengale of USA Today, a record seven-year, $175 million deal between Hernandez and the Mariners "will soon be official."
The $25 million average over those seven seasons would make Hernandez one of the MLB's highest paid players. The total value of the contract would surpass CC Sabathia's $161 million deal with the Yankees as the richest for a pitcher in MLB history.
Hernandez had two years remaining on what was considered a club-friendly, five-year deal he signed before the 2010 season. He was scheduled to make $39.5 million over those two seasons, so if the report is accurate, Hernandez's new deal would include $135.5 million in new money.
The Mariners have not confirmed the deal. According to 710 ESPN Seattle's Shannon Drayer, Hernandez's agents are in Seattle, as is general manager Jack Zduriencik, who flew back from Arizona.
Hernandez is a three-time All-Star, a Cy Young Award winner and the author of a perfect game – quite the resume for a player who hasn't turned 27 years old.
He's consistently expressed a desire to remain with the Mariners despite the club's stretch of futility, and Zduriencik has been equally steadfast in his public remarks about wanting to keep Hernandez in a Mariners uniform despite the haul a player of his talent could net in a trade.
We will have more details on this story as they become available.
Follow Brady Henderson, MyNorthwest.com Sports Editor
Bonneville Media encourages site users to express their opinions by posting comments. Our goal is to maintain a civil dialogue in which readers feel comfortable. At times, the comments can descend to personal attacks. Please do not engage in such behavior. We encourage your thoughtful comments which: have a positive and constructive tone, are on topic, are respectful toward others and their opinions. Bonneville reserves the right to remove comments which do not conform to these criteria.
You might also be interested in:
- John Clayton
Video: Clayton trains for his big moment at Safeco
- Wyman, Mike and Moore
GM says Ackley, Harang staying put for now
- Shannon Drayer
Zduriencik on Montero's demotion and future
- With Andino reportedly on waivers and Miller on the move, what's next for the Mariners?
- Law: Zduriencik's seat 'getting hotter by the day'
- Zduriencik says Ackley, Harang staying put for now
- Does Jesus Montero have a future at first base?
- Mariners send slumping C Montero to minors
- Jack Zduriencik on Jesus Montero's demotion, future
- More Seattle Mariners »
- Report: Seahawks' Anthony McCoy has torn Achilles
- Ex-Seahawk Mike Williams resurfaces in CFL
- Seahawks sign local product Justin Veltung
- Where Russell Wilson has shown the most growth
- Which Seahawk is most impacted by Percy Harvin?
- Taking issue with Marshawn Lynch's OTA absence
- More Seattle Seahawks »
- Seattle MF Evans added to US training camp roster
- Johnson scores twice as Sounders beat FC Dallas
- Neagle's two goals lifts Sounders over Earthquakes
- Traore lifts Sounders to 1-0 win over Sporting KC
- Martin lifts Sounders past Rapids 1-0
- Sounders sign former Virginia forward Will Bates
- More Sounders FC »