Updated Feb 7, 2013 - 2:18 pm
Shoppach, Mariners finalize $1.5M, 1-year contract
Seattle announced the deal Thursday. To make room on the 40-man roster, Seattle designated for assignment reliever Shawn Kelley, who just last week agreed to a 1-year, $935,000 deal with the team to avoid arbitration. Seattle has 10 days to trade or release Kelley, or to send him outright to the minors if he clear waivers.
Shoppach played for Boston and the New York Mets last season, appearing in 76 games. The 32-year-old also has a relationship with Seattle manager Eric Wedge, having played for him in Cleveland for parts of four seasons from 2006-09. Montero and Shoppach are the only two catchers on Seattle's 40-man roster.
Shoppach can earn an additional $500,000 in performance bonuses.
Kelley went 2-4 with a 3.25 ERA in 47 appearances last season for Seattle.
(Copyright 2013 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)
Bonneville Media encourages site users to express their opinions by posting comments. Our goal is to maintain a civil dialogue in which readers feel comfortable. At times, the comments can descend to personal attacks. Please do not engage in such behavior. We encourage your thoughtful comments which: have a positive and constructive tone, are on topic, are respectful toward others and their opinions. Bonneville reserves the right to remove comments which do not conform to these criteria.
- Shannon Drayer
Mariners' losing streak at 5; What's most fixable?
- Bob and Groz
Mariners' Justin Smoak is quietly getting it done
- Brock and Danny
Strong reviews for Doug Baldwin and Golden Tate
- Trout hits for cycle, drives in 5, Angels rout M's
- Justin Smoak is quietly getting it done
- Mariners blow leads, lose 10-8 to Indians
- Mistakes prove costly as Mariners swept by Indians
- Trading Iwakuma could bolster Mariners' offense
- Bowden: Nick Franklin call-up will help M's offense
- More Seattle Mariners »
- Bruce Irvin's misstep changes Seahawks' outlook
- Seahawks waive backup QB Josh Portis
- Russell Wilson's talent and more OTA observations
- Seahawks' Cliff Avril dealing with foot injury
- Irvin present, Lynch absent as Seahawks begin OTAs
- Seahawks sign second-round pick Christine Michael
- More Seattle Seahawks »