Updated Feb 7, 2013 - 2:18 pm
Shoppach, Mariners finalize $1.5M, 1-year contract
Seattle announced the deal Thursday. To make room on the 40-man roster, Seattle designated for assignment reliever Shawn Kelley, who just last week agreed to a 1-year, $935,000 deal with the team to avoid arbitration. Seattle has 10 days to trade or release Kelley, or to send him outright to the minors if he clear waivers.
Shoppach played for Boston and the New York Mets last season, appearing in 76 games. The 32-year-old also has a relationship with Seattle manager Eric Wedge, having played for him in Cleveland for parts of four seasons from 2006-09. Montero and Shoppach are the only two catchers on Seattle's 40-man roster.
Shoppach can earn an additional $500,000 in performance bonuses.
Kelley went 2-4 with a 3.25 ERA in 47 appearances last season for Seattle.
(Copyright 2013 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)
Bonneville Media encourages site users to express their opinions by posting comments. Our goal is to maintain a civil dialogue in which readers feel comfortable. At times, the comments can descend to personal attacks. Please do not engage in such behavior. We encourage your thoughtful comments which: have a positive and constructive tone, are on topic, are respectful toward others and their opinions. Bonneville reserves the right to remove comments which do not conform to these criteria.
- Wyman, Mike and Moore
GM says Ackley, Harang staying put for now
- Bob and Groz
Does Jesus Montero have a future at first base?
- Brock Huard
Where Russell Wilson has shown the most growth
- Seahawks sign local product Justin Veltung
- Where Russell Wilson has shown the most growth
- Which Seahawk is most impacted by Percy Harvin?
- Taking issue with Marshawn Lynch's OTA absence
- Another PED ban doesn't mean Seahawks are cheaters
- Strong reviews for Golden Tate, Doug Baldwin
- More Seattle Seahawks »
- Seattle MF Evans added to US training camp roster
- Johnson scores twice as Sounders beat FC Dallas
- Neagle's two goals lifts Sounders over Earthquakes
- Traore lifts Sounders to 1-0 win over Sporting KC
- Martin lifts Sounders past Rapids 1-0
- Sounders sign former Virginia forward Will Bates
- More Sounders FC »