Updated Mar 10, 2013 - 3:30 pm
Griffey says MLB needs to attract young fans
AP Sports Writer
PHOENIX (AP) - Ken Griffey Jr. says he "was not shocked" when baseball writers decided no player should go into the Hall of Fame this year, although he thinks Craig Biggio got a raw deal.
Without specifically mentioning performance-enhancing drugs, Griffey said that "sometimes a statement needs to be made." Barry Bonds and Sammy Sosa were eligible for the Hall of Fame for the first time this year, and neither came close to election.
Griffey, who never has been linked to drug use although he played in the same era, is eligible for the Hall in 2015.
While some would consider him a first-ballot lock, Griffey said he doesn't worry about things he can't control.
Griffey was in Phoenix to promote fan balloting for the all-World Baseball Classic team.
(Copyright 2013 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)
Bonneville Media encourages site users to express their opinions by posting comments. Our goal is to maintain a civil dialogue in which readers feel comfortable. At times, the comments can descend to personal attacks. Please do not engage in such behavior. We encourage your thoughtful comments which: have a positive and constructive tone, are on topic, are respectful toward others and their opinions. Bonneville reserves the right to remove comments which do not conform to these criteria.
- Gary Hill
The real reason for the Mariners' struggles
- Bob and Groz
Which Seahawk is most impacted by Harvin?
- Brock Huard
Taking issue with Lynch's absence from OTAs
- Taking issue with Marshawn Lynch's OTA absence
- Another PED ban doesn't mean Seahawks are cheaters
- Strong reviews for Golden Tate, Doug Baldwin
- Bruce Irvin's misstep changes Seahawks' outlook
- Seahawks waive backup QB Josh Portis
- Russell Wilson's talent and more OTA observations
- More Seattle Seahawks »
- Seattle MF Evans added to US training camp roster
- Johnson scores twice as Sounders beat FC Dallas
- Neagle's two goals lifts Sounders over Earthquakes
- Traore lifts Sounders to 1-0 win over Sporting KC
- Martin lifts Sounders past Rapids 1-0
- Sounders sign former Virginia forward Will Bates
- More Sounders FC »