Updated Mar 28, 2013 - 4:46 pm
Mariners fire up huge new HD scoreboard
The actual viewing area of the new high-definition screen is almost 10 times the size of the current screen. It measures 56.7 feet high by 201.5 feet wide, the equivalent of about 2,182 42-inch flat screen TVs.
"Northwest sports fans have never seen anything like this. From the high-resolution imagery to the dynamic presentation, this new video screen provides the flexibility to present real-time game information in a way we've never been able to do until now," said Kevin Martinez, Seattle Mariners Vice President of Marketing.
The new Panasonic HD video screen offers a resolution never before seen in any sports venue. "It's like the difference between normal HD programming and a Blu-ray disc, except displayed on an enormous scale," said Dave Curry, Seattle Mariners Vice President of Technology. "You'll be able to see details like blades of grass and the texture of the infield dirt."
The screen can also be programmed for live action or video replays or split up for graphics, animation, and stats.
At a demonstration for media Thursday, the Mariners offered a look at the different modes including a stunning full screen replay of Felix Hernandez' perfect game from last season.
Fans will get their first look at the new video board at the Mariners' home opener April 8 against the Houston Astros.
Follow Josh Kerns, MyNorthwest.com Reporter
Please login below with your Facebook, Twitter, Google+ or Disqus account. Existing MyNorthwest account holders will need to create a new Disqus account or use one of the social logins provided below. Thank you.
- M's notebook: Walker scratched from Tacoma start
- Mariners add run on replay, beat Rangers 7-1
- M's notebook: Why not move Ackley up in lineup?
- M's Chris Young has put shoulder issues behind him
- Could beards be the reason fans aren't connecting to the Mariners?
- Mariners notebook: Disappointing weekend for offense
- More Seattle Mariners »
- Report: Seahawks' Lockette made 911 call
- Seahawks with the most to gain: Bruce Irvin
- Report: Woman transported from Kaepernick's hotel
- 49ers' Colin Kaepernick responds to reports of 'suspicious incident'
- Lakewood is celebrating Jermaine Kearse Day
- Hawk Talk: Wright and the Seahawks' LB precedent
- More Seattle Seahawks »