Updated Apr 1, 2013 - 11:46 am
Rick Rizzs thrilled for Mariners lineup, Opening Night
"It's time to open up that Christmas present that's been under the tree for two weeks," Rizzs told KIRO Radio's Seattle Morning News. "I think the fans are going to be pretty excited about what they see when they open up that gift."
The Mariners beat the Rockies 4-3 in Salt Lake City Saturday for the final spring training game and Rizzs said it was the team's best preseason it's ever had with 22 wins.
Besides seeing Felix Hernandez on the mound Opening Night against the A's, Rizzs said he's "really excited about seeing a legitimate middle part of the order."
"It was a lot of fun watching this group of guys, the veterans and the young guys, come together as a team," he said.
"Raul Ibanez, at the age of 40, can still hit and he had a great spring. What a difference he's made with the young players on this team."
Rizzs said he looks forward to seeing what Kendrys Morales, Michael Morse and Jason Bay will do in the regular season.
"I really think the Mariners can surprise some people this year with the group that they put together," Rizzs said.
Follow Stephanie Klein, MyNorthwest.com Editor
Please login below with your Facebook, Twitter, Google+ or Disqus account. Existing MyNorthwest account holders will need to create a new Disqus account or use one of the social logins provided below. Thank you.
- Jim Moore
Rooting against Huskies' Petersen won't be easy
- Bob and Groz
Willson showing why the Seahawks wanted him
- Danny O'Neil
Should the Seahawks have let the 49ers score?
- Luke Willson showing why the Seahawks wanted him
- Hawk Talk: Live Seahawks chat with Danny O'Neil
- Should the Seahawks have let the 49ers score?
- What we learned from the Seahawks' loss to the 49ers
- Seahawks will wait and see with center Max Unger
- 49ers hand out cards telling fans to sit down
- More Seattle Seahawks »
- Zduriencik addresses Wedge's comments, Cano's deal and other potential Mariners moves
- Mariners notes: In defense of Cano's contract
- Mariners notes, links from Day 1 of winter meetings
- Mariners' statement from Zduriencik on Times article
- For Mariners, plenty of work to be done in Orlando
- Ten things you should know about Robinson Cano
- More Seattle Mariners »