Updated Apr 1, 2013 - 11:46 am
Rick Rizzs thrilled for Mariners lineup, Opening Night
"It's time to open up that Christmas present that's been under the tree for two weeks," Rizzs told KIRO Radio's Seattle Morning News. "I think the fans are going to be pretty excited about what they see when they open up that gift."
The Mariners beat the Rockies 4-3 in Salt Lake City Saturday for the final spring training game and Rizzs said it was the team's best preseason it's ever had with 22 wins.
Besides seeing Felix Hernandez on the mound Opening Night against the A's, Rizzs said he's "really excited about seeing a legitimate middle part of the order."
"It was a lot of fun watching this group of guys, the veterans and the young guys, come together as a team," he said.
"Raul Ibanez, at the age of 40, can still hit and he had a great spring. What a difference he's made with the young players on this team."
Rizzs said he looks forward to seeing what Kendrys Morales, Michael Morse and Jason Bay will do in the regular season.
"I really think the Mariners can surprise some people this year with the group that they put together," Rizzs said.
Follow Stephanie Klein, MyNorthwest.com Editor
Please login below with your Facebook, Twitter, Google+ or Disqus account. Existing MyNorthwest account holders will need to create a new Disqus account or use one of the social logins provided below. Thank you.
- Brady Henderson
Seahawks notebook: Penalties add up in loss
Photo gallery: 49ers 19, Seahawks 17
- Shannon Drayer
Pundits weigh in on Mariners' deal with Cano
- Seahawks' slugfest loss an example of what to expect
- Seahawks notebook: 'The penalties, they killed us'
- Column: Road to Super Bowl still through Seattle
- 49ers edge Seahawks 19-17 after late field goal
- Seahawks missing Percy Harvin as expected
- Hawks-49ers will come down to who's the best team
- More Seattle Seahawks »
- Ten things you should know about Robinson Cano
- Pundits weigh in on Mariners' deal with Robinson Cano
- Reports: Mariners land Robinson Cano on 10-year deal
- What to make of Cano's meeting with Mariners
- Willie Bloomquist talks about his return and hints at more moves to come
- Mariners' Jack Zduriencik isn't tipping his hand
- More Seattle Mariners »