Updated Apr 1, 2013 - 11:46 am
Rick Rizzs thrilled for Mariners lineup, Opening Night
"It's time to open up that Christmas present that's been under the tree for two weeks," Rizzs told KIRO Radio's Seattle Morning News. "I think the fans are going to be pretty excited about what they see when they open up that gift."
The Mariners beat the Rockies 4-3 in Salt Lake City Saturday for the final spring training game and Rizzs said it was the team's best preseason it's ever had with 22 wins.
Besides seeing Felix Hernandez on the mound Opening Night against the A's, Rizzs said he's "really excited about seeing a legitimate middle part of the order."
"It was a lot of fun watching this group of guys, the veterans and the young guys, come together as a team," he said.
"Raul Ibanez, at the age of 40, can still hit and he had a great spring. What a difference he's made with the young players on this team."
Rizzs said he looks forward to seeing what Kendrys Morales, Michael Morse and Jason Bay will do in the regular season.
"I really think the Mariners can surprise some people this year with the group that they put together," Rizzs said.
Follow Stephanie Klein, MyNorthwest.com Editor
Please login below with your Facebook, Twitter, Google+ or Disqus account. Existing MyNorthwest account holders will need to create a new Disqus account or use one of the social logins provided below. Thank you.
- Reports: O'Brien Schofield signs with Giants
- Report: Golden Tate set to visit Lions
- Reports: Walter Thurmond set to visit with Jaguars
- Reports: Clinton McDonald reaches deal with Bucs
- Bennett's deal shows Seahawks will reward their own
- Hawk Talk: Live Seahawks chat with Danny O'Neil
- More Seattle Seahawks »
- M's reportedly interested in White Sox OF Viciedo
- Will Miller or Franklin be the M's starting shortstop?
- Mariners' pitchers have a new focus under Waits
- ESPN's Kurkjian: Corey Hart 'crucial' for M's offense
- Notebook: Felix, Seager remember first time they faced
- Paxton says September success gives him confidence
- More Seattle Mariners »