Updated Apr 11, 2013 - 1:55 pm
Safeco Field now famous for ball-catching, beer-chugging guy
Wednesday evening might boast the lowest attendance record in Mariners history, but now Safeco has fun story after a man caught a foul ball in his beer.
Johnny Turk tells KIRO Radio's Dori Monson Show instinct took over when he saw the ball flying toward him.
"It was just one of those things. There was a guy sitting behind us that caught a couple flies and it smacked him in the hand. I was like, nope not going to do it," says Turk.
As the ball made contact with the beer, there was quite an overflow. Turk didn't shy away. He took the play one step further and went in for a big chug.
"I work in a bar. I'm used to getting splattered with alcohol," he says.
It gave Mariners fans something to smile about. Following Monday's winning home opener, the Astros won the final two games of the series.
Not to mention, a weather pattern consisting of off-and-on rain showers made Safeco a chilly place to be.
Thanks to Johnny for a great highlight in an otherwise difficult game.
Follow Alyssa Kleven, MyNorthwest.com Editor
Please login below with your Facebook, Twitter, Google+ or Disqus account. Existing MyNorthwest account holders will need to create a new Disqus account or use one of the social logins provided below. Thank you.
- Mariners minor leaguer Ji-Man Choi suspended
- Mariners announcer needs signature Robinson Cano call
- Mariners notebook: A surprise in right field
- Mariners notebook: Walker shut down for two weeks
- M's Walker diagnosed with shoulder impingement
- Mariners promote Nick Franklin; move Morrison to DL
- More Seattle Mariners »
- Sidney Rice agrees to one-year deal with Seahawks
- Sidney Rice returns to the Seahawks with reported 1-year-deal
- Video: Seahawks stay mum on Lockette with TMZ paparazzi
- Seahawks with the most to gain: Byron Maxwell
- Seahawks should bring back Sidney Rice at a discount
- Russell Wilson, Seahawks keep busy in offseason California workouts
- More Seattle Seahawks »