Updated Apr 11, 2013 - 1:55 pm
Safeco Field now famous for ball-catching, beer-chugging guy
Wednesday evening might boast the lowest attendance record in Mariners history, but now Safeco has fun story after a man caught a foul ball in his beer.
Johnny Turk tells KIRO Radio's Dori Monson Show instinct took over when he saw the ball flying toward him.
"It was just one of those things. There was a guy sitting behind us that caught a couple flies and it smacked him in the hand. I was like, nope not going to do it," says Turk.
As the ball made contact with the beer, there was quite an overflow. Turk didn't shy away. He took the play one step further and went in for a big chug.
"I work in a bar. I'm used to getting splattered with alcohol," he says.
It gave Mariners fans something to smile about. Following Monday's winning home opener, the Astros won the final two games of the series.
Not to mention, a weather pattern consisting of off-and-on rain showers made Safeco a chilly place to be.
Thanks to Johnny for a great highlight in an otherwise difficult game.
Follow Alyssa Kleven, MyNorthwest.com Editor
Please login below with your Facebook, Twitter, Google+ or Disqus account. Existing MyNorthwest account holders will need to create a new Disqus account or use one of the social logins provided below. Thank you.
- Report: Seahawks to re-sign Anthony McCoy
- Seahawks' Luke Willson agrees to go to high school prom
- Seahawks keep Michael Bennett with four-year deal
- Report: Seahawks favorites for Michael Bennett
- Trading for Graham would cost the Seahawks a fortune
- Former Seahawks DE Red Bryant signs with Jaguars
- More Seattle Seahawks »
- Will Miller or Franklin be the M's starting shortstop?
- Mariners' pitchers have a new focus under Waits
- ESPN's Kurkjian: Corey Hart 'crucial' for M's offense
- Notebook: Felix, Seager remember first time they faced
- Paxton says September success gives him confidence
- Mariners notebook: Rodney ready for a strong start
- More Seattle Mariners »