Updated Apr 26, 2013 - 11:59 pm
Prized M's prospect Danny Hultzen out 2 weeks
Mariners left-handed pitching prospect Danny Hultzen has a left rotator cuff strain and tendinitis and will miss approximately two weeks, the team announced Friday night.
The injury began to bother Hultzen before his scheduled start for Triple-A Tacoma in Las Vegas Thursday. He could not get loose prior to the game in the bullpen and was subsequently scratched from the lineup.
Hultzen was examined Friday by Dr. Edward Khalfayan, the Mariners medical director, who recommended about two weeks of rest and rehabilitation.
The rotator strain slows a 2013 season that has been stellar thus far for Hultzen, the No. 2 overall pick in the 2011 MLB Draft. The 23-year-old has a 3-1 record with a 2.78 ERA and 25 strikeouts in 22 2/3 innings pitched for the Rainers.
Hultzen is Baseball America's No. 3-ranked prospect in the Mariners organization, behind catcher Mike Zunino (No. 1) and right-hander Taijuan Walker (No. 2).
Please login below with your Facebook, Twitter, Google+ or Disqus account. Existing MyNorthwest account holders will need to create a new Disqus account or use one of the social logins provided below. Thank you.
- Shannon Drayer
What to make of Cano's meeting with Mariners
- Wyman, Mike and Moore
'Russellmania' gets one Seahawk star treatment
- Brock Huard
Chalk Talk: Wilson and Baldwin beat Saints' blitz
- Watch a live stream of 'The Huddle'
- Person of Interest: 49ers' Colin Kaepernick
- 'Russellmania' gets one Seahawk the star treatment
- Seahawks notebook: Percy Harvin held out of practice
- 49ers' Joe Looney takes on key offensive line role
- Chalk Talk: Wilson and Baldwin beat the Saints' blitz
- More Seattle Seahawks »
- Willie Bloomquist talks about his return and hints at more moves to come
- Mariners' Jack Zduriencik isn't tipping his hand
- Rick Rizzs and Toys for Kids make thousands of area children happy at Christmas
- Mariners notebook: Robinson Cano talk heating up
- Seattle hires Wilson as minor league coach
- Notebook: Mariners close to signing Willie Bloomquist
- More Seattle Mariners »