Updated Apr 27, 2013 - 5:06 pm
Mariners 3B coach Datz announces cancer diagnosis
Datz told Mariners' players during a team meeting before Saturday's game against the Los Angeles Angels and later released a written statement. Datz said he's still in the process of making decisions on treatment and he might have to miss some games.
"The good news is that it was caught very early, and I have great support from my wife, my family, Eric (Wedge), the coaches and staff, all the players and the Mariners organization," Datz wrote.
Datz said he released the statement because he doesn't want his absence to be a distraction. He declined further comment until decisions on timing and treatment have been made.
The type of cancer was not disclosed.
"He's going to beat this. We've all experienced cancer in some way, shape or form and it's something he's been dealing with, we've all been dealing with for a couple of weeks and we felt like it was the right time to announce it to the team because he is going to miss some time away from the team at some point in time," Wedge said. "He's touched a lot of people throughout the country over the years, I'm sure they're all going to reach out and give their total support.
The 53-year-old Datz is in his third season with the Mariners. He previously worked on coaching staffs with Baltimore and with Wedge during his tenure as manager in Cleveland. Wedge first got to know Datz in 1998. Wedge was getting his start as a minor league manager and Datz was working a level above in the Indians' minor-league system. He was on Wedge's staff for eight seasons in Cleveland.
As a player, Datz reached the majors only once, playing in seven games with Detroit in 1989.
"I told him, `You're going to beat it. It's as simple as that,'" Wedge said. "Everybody is going to do what they need to do to help him and then he'll be back in good shape."
(Copyright 2013 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)
Please login below with your Facebook, Twitter, Google+ or Disqus account. Existing MyNorthwest account holders will need to create a new Disqus account or use one of the social logins provided below. Thank you.
- Wyman, Mike and Moore
'Russellmania' gets one Seahawk star treatment
- Brock Huard
Chalk Talk: Wilson and Baldwin beat Saints' blitz
- Shannon Drayer
Bloomquist talks about his return to Mariners
- Person of Interest: 49ers' Colin Kaepernick
- 'Russellmania' gets one Seahawk the star treatment
- Seahawks notebook: Percy Harvin held out of practice
- 49ers' Joe Looney takes on key offensive line role
- Chalk Talk: Wilson and Baldwin beat the Saints' blitz
- 49ers remind fans about 'home field advantage plan'
- More Seattle Seahawks »
- Willie Bloomquist talks about his return and hints at more moves to come
- Mariners' Jack Zduriencik isn't tipping his hand
- Rick Rizzs and Toys for Kids make thousands of area children happy at Christmas
- Mariners notebook: Robinson Cano talk heating up
- Seattle hires Wilson as minor league coach
- Notebook: Mariners close to signing Willie Bloomquist
- More Seattle Mariners »