Updated Jun 17, 2013 - 7:55 pm
Blowers on Baseball: Franklin off to a good start
Special to 710Sports.com
Through 19 games with the Mariners, Nick Franklin has performed about as well as anyone could expect him to in his first stint in the major leagues.
At the plate, he is hitting .302 with two home runs and four RBIs.
But perhaps more importantly, his on-base percentage sits at an impressive .389.
In the field, there have been a couple hiccups at second base, but he has made up for that with a few spectacular plays, including one Sunday in Oakland where he ranged all the way behind second base to make a great diving play on a ground ball.
In Monday's edition of "Blowers on Baseball," TV analyst Mike Blowers discussed Franklin's impressive start to his major league career.
"I've been really impressed," Blowers said. "Obviously he's off to a good start offensively. But one of the things I look at is just his patience at the plate ... He already hits the ball the other way. A lot of the attributes he has we saw in Kyle Seager last year."
With Franklin, there haven't been any growing pains thus far with the Mariners, and with his professional approach at the plate and in the field, this success is sustainable.
You can check out the rest of "Blowers on Baseball," including his thoughts on Mike Zunino's play so far, here.
Please login below with your Facebook, Twitter, Google+ or Disqus account. Existing MyNorthwest account holders will need to create a new Disqus account or use one of the social logins provided below. Thank you.
- Changes coming after the Mariners' 8th straight loss?
- McHugh strikes out 12 as Astros beat Seattle 5-2
- Dominguez homers to lead Astros over Mariners
- Paxton and Walker optimistic they will be cleared to throw this week
- M's coaches on changes needed if transfer rule stays
- Mariners notebook: Brad Miller gets his first day off
- More Seattle Mariners »
- Richard Sherman talks race with Harvard students
- Seahawks to open vs. Packers, play 49ers on Thanksgiving
- Seahawks' Russell Wilson files for divorce
- Marcus Trufant to retire as a Seahawk
- Baldwin hoping for long-term deal with Seahawks
- What do the Seahawks have planned for Pryor?
- More Seattle Seahawks »