Updated Jun 25, 2013 - 5:25 pm
Mariners recall Dustin Ackley; Franklin Gutierrez to DL
Dustin Ackley is back in the big leagues and Franklin Gutierrez is back on the disabled list.
The Mariners have recalled Ackley following his month-long demotion to Triple-A Tacoma and placed Gutierrez and his balky hamstring on the 15-day disabled list, marking the oft-injured center fielder's sixth stint on the DL since the start of the 2011 season.
The Mariners announced the moves before Tuesday's series opener against the Pirates at Safeco Field. Ackley is not in the lineup.
Ackley, 25, returns to the Mariners having worked on his swing and switched positions since he was optioned to Tacoma on May 26. He's hit .365 with 10 extra-base hits and 14 RBIs in 25 games with the Rainiers while moving from second base to the outfield, making nine starts in center and three in left.
Nick Franklin, who along with Ackley was a first-round pick in 2009, joined the Mariners when Ackley was optioned and has assumed his role as Seattle's everyday second baseman.
Ackley hit .205 with five extra-base hits and eight RBIs over his first 45 games.
Gutierrez, 30, had just been activated after missing two months because of a right hamstring strain, an injury that has him back on the disabled list after two games. His placement on the DL is retroactive to Monday.
Gutierrez has hit .267 with nine extra-base hits and 11 RBIs in 18 games this season.
Please login below with your Facebook, Twitter, Google+ or Disqus account. Existing MyNorthwest account holders will need to create a new Disqus account or use one of the social logins provided below. Thank you.
- Brent Stecker
Ten things you should know about Cano
- Shannon Drayer
Pundits weigh in on Mariners' deal with Cano
- Danny O'Neil
Hawks' win would mean a changing of the guard
- James Carpenter resumes starting role at left guard
- Seahawks' win would mean a changing of the guard
- Pete Carroll: Seahawks' Percy Harvin out against 49ers
- Brandon Browner sits out Thursday's practice
- Watch a live stream of 'The Huddle'
- Person of Interest: 49ers' Colin Kaepernick
- More Seattle Seahawks »
- Pundits weigh in on Mariners' deal with Robinson Cano
- Reports: Mariners land Robinson Cano on 10-year deal
- What to make of Cano's meeting with Mariners
- Willie Bloomquist talks about his return and hints at more moves to come
- Mariners' Jack Zduriencik isn't tipping his hand
- Rick Rizzs and Toys for Kids make thousands of area children happy at Christmas
- More Seattle Mariners »