Updated Jun 25, 2013 - 5:25 pm
Mariners recall Dustin Ackley; Franklin Gutierrez to DL
Dustin Ackley is back in the big leagues and Franklin Gutierrez is back on the disabled list.
The Mariners have recalled Ackley following his month-long demotion to Triple-A Tacoma and placed Gutierrez and his balky hamstring on the 15-day disabled list, marking the oft-injured center fielder's sixth stint on the DL since the start of the 2011 season.
The Mariners announced the moves before Tuesday's series opener against the Pirates at Safeco Field. Ackley is not in the lineup.
Ackley, 25, returns to the Mariners having worked on his swing and switched positions since he was optioned to Tacoma on May 26. He's hit .365 with 10 extra-base hits and 14 RBIs in 25 games with the Rainiers while moving from second base to the outfield, making nine starts in center and three in left.
Nick Franklin, who along with Ackley was a first-round pick in 2009, joined the Mariners when Ackley was optioned and has assumed his role as Seattle's everyday second baseman.
Ackley hit .205 with five extra-base hits and eight RBIs over his first 45 games.
Gutierrez, 30, had just been activated after missing two months because of a right hamstring strain, an injury that has him back on the disabled list after two games. His placement on the DL is retroactive to Monday.
Gutierrez has hit .267 with nine extra-base hits and 11 RBIs in 18 games this season.
Please login below with your Facebook, Twitter, Google+ or Disqus account. Existing MyNorthwest account holders will need to create a new Disqus account or use one of the social logins provided below. Thank you.
- Mariners minor leaguer Ji-Man Choi suspended
- Mariners announcer needs signature Robinson Cano call
- Mariners notebook: A surprise in right field
- Mariners notebook: Walker shut down for two weeks
- M's Walker diagnosed with shoulder impingement
- Mariners promote Nick Franklin; move Morrison to DL
- More Seattle Mariners »
- Sidney Rice agrees to one-year deal with Seahawks
- Sidney Rice returns to the Seahawks with reported 1-year-deal
- Video: Seahawks stay mum on Lockette with TMZ paparazzi
- Seahawks with the most to gain: Byron Maxwell
- Seahawks should bring back Sidney Rice at a discount
- Russell Wilson, Seahawks keep busy in offseason California workouts
- More Seattle Seahawks »