Updated Jul 1, 2013 - 1:36 pm
Mariners trade Thames to O's in farmhand swap
The Mariners acquired infielder Ty Kelly from the Baltimore Orioles Sunday for outfielder Eric Thames.
Kelly, a 13th-round pick in 2009, will report to Triple-A Tacoma. The 24-year-old leaves Baltimore's Double-A affiliate Bowie ranking second in the Eastern League in runs scored (51) and doubles (tied with 21).
Thames, 26, was designated for assignment by the Mariners on June 22 to make room for outfielder Franklin Gutierrez, who was coming off the 60-day disabled list, on the 40-man roster. Gutierrez played just two games for the Mariners before re-injuring his hamstring.
Thames was acquired July 31, 2012 from the Blue Jays for reliever Steve Delabar. He hit .220 with six home runs in 40 games with the Mariners last season, but has played all of 2013 in Triple-A. Before hitting the disabled list with a wrist laceration, he hit .295 seven home runs and 33 RBIs in 57 games for the Rainiers.
Please login below with your Facebook, Twitter, Google+ or Disqus account. Existing MyNorthwest account holders will need to create a new Disqus account or use one of the social logins provided below. Thank you.
- Shannon Drayer
Pundits weigh in on Mariners' deal with Cano
- Jim Moore
Hawks-49ers will come down to the best team
- Danny O'Neil
Hawks' win would mean a changing of the guard
- Report: Brandon Browner declines lesser suspension
- James Carpenter resumes starting role at left guard
- Seahawks' win would mean a changing of the guard
- Pete Carroll: Seahawks' Percy Harvin out against 49ers
- Brandon Browner sits out Thursday's practice
- Watch a live stream of 'The Huddle'
- More Seattle Seahawks »
- Pundits weigh in on Mariners' deal with Robinson Cano
- Reports: Mariners land Robinson Cano on 10-year deal
- What to make of Cano's meeting with Mariners
- Willie Bloomquist talks about his return and hints at more moves to come
- Mariners' Jack Zduriencik isn't tipping his hand
- Rick Rizzs and Toys for Kids make thousands of area children happy at Christmas
- More Seattle Mariners »