Updated Jul 1, 2013 - 1:36 pm
Mariners trade Thames to O's in farmhand swap
The Mariners acquired infielder Ty Kelly from the Baltimore Orioles Sunday for outfielder Eric Thames.
Kelly, a 13th-round pick in 2009, will report to Triple-A Tacoma. The 24-year-old leaves Baltimore's Double-A affiliate Bowie ranking second in the Eastern League in runs scored (51) and doubles (tied with 21).
Thames, 26, was designated for assignment by the Mariners on June 22 to make room for outfielder Franklin Gutierrez, who was coming off the 60-day disabled list, on the 40-man roster. Gutierrez played just two games for the Mariners before re-injuring his hamstring.
Thames was acquired July 31, 2012 from the Blue Jays for reliever Steve Delabar. He hit .220 with six home runs in 40 games with the Mariners last season, but has played all of 2013 in Triple-A. Before hitting the disabled list with a wrist laceration, he hit .295 seven home runs and 33 RBIs in 57 games for the Rainiers.
Please login below with your Facebook, Twitter, Google+ or Disqus account. Existing MyNorthwest account holders will need to create a new Disqus account or use one of the social logins provided below. Thank you.
- Danny O'Neil
Should the Seahawks have let the 49ers score?
- The Pete Carroll Show
Surgery upcoming for Seahawks' K.J. Wright
- Shannon Drayer
M's should be busy at baseball's winter meetings
- What we learned from the Seahawks' loss to the 49ers
- Seahawks will wait and see with center Max Unger
- 49ers hand out cards telling fans to sit down
- Seahawks' K.J. Wright to have surgery on broken foot
- Seahawks burned again by 49ers' Frank Gore
- Seahawks' slugfest loss an example of what to expect
- More Seattle Seahawks »
- Mariners' statement from Zduriencik on Times article
- For Mariners, plenty of work to be done in Orlando
- Ten things you should know about Robinson Cano
- Pundits weigh in on Mariners' deal with Robinson Cano
- Reports: Mariners land Robinson Cano on 10-year deal
- What to make of Cano's meeting with Mariners
- More Seattle Mariners »