Updated Jul 16, 2013 - 4:10 pm
Felix to pitch, Iwakuma to sit in All-Star game
Hernandez has been named to four All-Star teams, but only thrown eight pitches total, The Seattle Times Larry Stone reports.
Felix faced three batters in 2009, but was kept out of the 2011 All-Star game in Phoenix and last year's edition of the mid-summer classic in Kansas City. While the rules up to 2011 made any pitcher who saw action the Sunday before ineligible, Texas manager Ron Washington kept King Felix out of the 2012 game to protect his arm.
"This year, I want to pitch," Felix told Stone. While Felix pitched Saturday against the Angels, American League manager Jim Leyland has told him he'll get to pitch in the game. He'll likely see just one inning of action, as Leyland has previously said that will be the limit for anyone who pitched Saturday.
Felix will be joined in the dugout by Seattle teammate Hisashi Iwakuma. But a disappointed Iwakuma, a first time All-Star, won't get into the game because he pitched Sunday.
"He's sad because he wants to pitch," Hernandez said of Iwakuma. "But you know what? He just has to take care of himself and be ready for the second half."
Stone reports the All-Star game is a family affair for Felix. His parents flew to New York from their native Venezuela, while Felix brought along his wife, Sandra, 7-year-old daughter Mia, and 4-year-old son Jeremy.
Felix and Iwakuma have both posted a stellar first half to the season. Felix is 10-4 with a 2.53 ERA, while Iwakuma has a shining 8-4 record with a 3.02 ERA. The Mariners return to action to start the second half of the season Friday in Houston.
You can hear the 84th All-Star game live from Citi Field in New York starting at 5 p.m. on 710 ESPN Seattle.
Follow Josh Kerns, MyNorthwest.com Reporter
Please login below with your Facebook, Twitter, Google+ or Disqus account. Existing MyNorthwest account holders will need to create a new Disqus account or use one of the social logins provided below. Thank you.
- Brady Henderson
Seahawks notebook: Penalties add up in loss
Photo gallery: 49ers 19, Seahawks 17
- Shannon Drayer
Pundits weigh in on Mariners' deal with Cano
- Seahawks notebook: 'The penalties, they killed us'
- Column: Road to Super Bowl still through Seattle
- 49ers edge Seahawks 19-17 after late field goal
- Seahawks missing Percy Harvin as expected
- Hawks-49ers will come down to who's the best team
- Report: Brandon Browner declines lesser suspension
- More Seattle Seahawks »
- Pundits weigh in on Mariners' deal with Robinson Cano
- Reports: Mariners land Robinson Cano on 10-year deal
- What to make of Cano's meeting with Mariners
- Willie Bloomquist talks about his return and hints at more moves to come
- Mariners' Jack Zduriencik isn't tipping his hand
- Rick Rizzs and Toys for Kids make thousands of area children happy at Christmas
- More Seattle Mariners »