Updated Jul 26, 2013 - 3:05 pm
Mariners' Mike Zunino lands on DL with hand injury
The Mariners have placed Mike Zunino on the 15-day disabled list with a fractured hamate bone in his left hand, an injury that will require surgery and could end the rookie catcher's season.
The Mariners made the announcement Friday. A corresponding roster move will be made before Friday night's game against the Twins. Henry Blanco is the other catcher on the Mariners' 25-man roster. Jesus Sucre is still on the 15-day disabled list.
Zunino injured his hand during an RBI single Thursday night, and an MRI taken Friday morning confirmed the fracture. Zunino is scheduled to see a team doctor Friday and will undergo surgery early next week. He's expected to miss approximately six weeks.
Zunino, the third overall pick in the 2012 draft, hit .242 with two home runs and 10 RBIs in 29 games with the Mariners.
Please login below with your Facebook, Twitter, Google+ or Disqus account. Existing MyNorthwest account holders will need to create a new Disqus account or use one of the social logins provided below. Thank you.
- Seattle 1B Choi banned 50 games for positive test
- Mariners minor leaguer suspended
- Mariners announcer needs signature Robinson Cano call
- Mariners notebook: A surprise in right field
- Mariners notebook: Walker shut down for two weeks
- M's Walker diagnosed with shoulder impingement
- More Seattle Mariners »
- Sidney Rice agrees to one-year deal with Seahawks
- Sidney Rice returns to the Seahawks with reported 1-year-deal
- Video: Seahawks stay mum on Lockette with TMZ paparazzi
- Seahawks with the most to gain: Byron Maxwell
- Seahawks should bring back Sidney Rice at a discount
- Russell Wilson, Seahawks keep busy in offseason California workouts
- More Seattle Seahawks »