Updated Jul 26, 2013 - 3:05 pm
Mariners' Mike Zunino lands on DL with hand injury
The Mariners have placed Mike Zunino on the 15-day disabled list with a fractured hamate bone in his left hand, an injury that will require surgery and could end the rookie catcher's season.
The Mariners made the announcement Friday. A corresponding roster move will be made before Friday night's game against the Twins. Henry Blanco is the other catcher on the Mariners' 25-man roster. Jesus Sucre is still on the 15-day disabled list.
Zunino injured his hand during an RBI single Thursday night, and an MRI taken Friday morning confirmed the fracture. Zunino is scheduled to see a team doctor Friday and will undergo surgery early next week. He's expected to miss approximately six weeks.
Zunino, the third overall pick in the 2012 draft, hit .242 with two home runs and 10 RBIs in 29 games with the Mariners.
Please login below with your Facebook, Twitter, Google+ or Disqus account. Existing MyNorthwest account holders will need to create a new Disqus account or use one of the social logins provided below. Thank you.
- Changes coming after the Mariners' 8th straight loss?
- McHugh strikes out 12 as Astros beat Seattle 5-2
- Dominguez homers to lead Astros over Mariners
- Paxton and Walker optimistic they will be cleared to throw this week
- M's coaches on changes needed if transfer rule stays
- Mariners notebook: Brad Miller gets his first day off
- More Seattle Mariners »
- Richard Sherman talks race with Harvard students
- Seahawks to open vs. Packers, play 49ers on Thanksgiving
- Seahawks' Russell Wilson files for divorce
- Marcus Trufant to retire as a Seahawk
- Baldwin hoping for long-term deal with Seahawks
- What do the Seahawks have planned for Pryor?
- More Seattle Seahawks »