Updated Jul 26, 2013 - 3:05 pm
Mariners' Mike Zunino lands on DL with hand injury
The Mariners have placed Mike Zunino on the 15-day disabled list with a fractured hamate bone in his left hand, an injury that will require surgery and could end the rookie catcher's season.
The Mariners made the announcement Friday. A corresponding roster move will be made before Friday night's game against the Twins. Henry Blanco is the other catcher on the Mariners' 25-man roster. Jesus Sucre is still on the 15-day disabled list.
Zunino injured his hand during an RBI single Thursday night, and an MRI taken Friday morning confirmed the fracture. Zunino is scheduled to see a team doctor Friday and will undergo surgery early next week. He's expected to miss approximately six weeks.
Zunino, the third overall pick in the 2012 draft, hit .242 with two home runs and 10 RBIs in 29 games with the Mariners.
Please login below with your Facebook, Twitter, Google+ or Disqus account. Existing MyNorthwest account holders will need to create a new Disqus account or use one of the social logins provided below. Thank you.
- Report: Seahawks favorites for Michael Bennett
- Trading for Graham would cost the Seahawks a fortune
- Former Seahawks DE Red Bryant signs with Jaguars
- Seahawks give second-round tender to Doug Baldwin
- Reports: Michael Bennett to test free agency
- Seahawks should pass on Brandon Browner
- More Seattle Seahawks »
- ESPN's Kurkjian: Corey Hart 'crucial' for M's offense
- Notebook: Felix, Seager remember first time they faced
- Paxton says September success gives him confidence
- Mariners notebook: Rodney ready for a strong start
- John Stearns puts Mariners first and steps down
- Walker plays catch, expects to throw again Friday
- More Seattle Mariners »