Updated Jul 26, 2013 - 3:05 pm
Mariners' Mike Zunino lands on DL with hand injury
The Mariners have placed Mike Zunino on the 15-day disabled list with a fractured hamate bone in his left hand, an injury that will require surgery and could end the rookie catcher's season.
The Mariners made the announcement Friday. A corresponding roster move will be made before Friday night's game against the Twins. Henry Blanco is the other catcher on the Mariners' 25-man roster. Jesus Sucre is still on the 15-day disabled list.
Zunino injured his hand during an RBI single Thursday night, and an MRI taken Friday morning confirmed the fracture. Zunino is scheduled to see a team doctor Friday and will undergo surgery early next week. He's expected to miss approximately six weeks.
Zunino, the third overall pick in the 2012 draft, hit .242 with two home runs and 10 RBIs in 29 games with the Mariners.
Please login below with your Facebook, Twitter, Google+ or Disqus account. Existing MyNorthwest account holders will need to create a new Disqus account or use one of the social logins provided below. Thank you.
- Brady Henderson
Seahawks burned again by 49ers' Frank Gore
- Brady Henderson
Seahawks notebook: Penalties add up in loss
- Shannon Drayer
Pundits weigh in on Mariners' deal with Cano
- 5 things to know after 49ers edge Seahawks 19-17
- Seahawks' slugfest loss an example of what to expect
- Seahawks notebook: 'The penalties, they killed us'
- Column: Road to Super Bowl still through Seattle
- 49ers edge Seahawks 19-17 after late field goal
- Seahawks missing Percy Harvin as expected
- More Seattle Seahawks »
- Plenty of work to be done in Orlando
- Ten things you should know about Robinson Cano
- Pundits weigh in on Mariners' deal with Robinson Cano
- Reports: Mariners land Robinson Cano on 10-year deal
- What to make of Cano's meeting with Mariners
- Willie Bloomquist talks about his return and hints at more moves to come
- More Seattle Mariners »