Updated Aug 27, 2013 - 2:55 pm
Mariners' Kendrys Morales claimed off waivers
Kendrys Morales' days in the Mariners' clubhouse may be numbered.
Kendrys Morales leads the Mariners in batting average and RBIs this season. (AP)
An unknown team has claimed the Mariners' first baseman/designated hitter off of waivers, according to FOX Sports' Jon Paul Morosi. The Mariners have until Saturday to work out a deal with the team that made the claim.
Morales, who was acquired from the Angels for starting pitcher Jason Vargas, has been one of the Mariners' best hitters this season, though he has regressed since the All-Star break. He has a team-high .284 batting average and 67 RBIs to go with 17 homers.
After retaining Morales through the July 31 trade deadline, the belief was that Mariners general manager Jack Zduriencik would give the soon-to-be free agent a qualifying offer after the season in an attempt to re-sign him. But with Morales being put on waivers, that scenario now seems a little less likely.
Please login below with your Facebook, Twitter, Google+ or Disqus account. Existing MyNorthwest account holders will need to create a new Disqus account or use one of the social logins provided below. Thank you.
- Seahawks should pass on Brandon Browner
- Browner's reinstatement includes four-game ban
- Golden Tate states his case for a nice contract
- Report: Seahawks tender RFA Jeron Johnson
- Russell Wilson's Rangers jersey a top MLB seller
- Seahawks QB Russell Wilson turned down 'Dancing with the Stars'
- More Seattle Seahawks »
- Mariners notebook: McClendon 'anxious' to see Walker
- Mariners notebook: Roster reduced to 55
- 'Cactus League Report' recap and podcast
- Mariners notebook: Taijuan Walker on his way back
- Mariners' outfield defense can be much better in 2014
- Mariners notebook: Seager just about ready for action
- More Seattle Mariners »