Updated Aug 27, 2013 - 2:55 pm
Mariners' Kendrys Morales claimed off waivers
Kendrys Morales' days in the Mariners' clubhouse may be numbered.
Kendrys Morales leads the Mariners in batting average and RBIs this season. (AP)
An unknown team has claimed the Mariners' first baseman/designated hitter off of waivers, according to FOX Sports' Jon Paul Morosi. The Mariners have until Saturday to work out a deal with the team that made the claim.
Morales, who was acquired from the Angels for starting pitcher Jason Vargas, has been one of the Mariners' best hitters this season, though he has regressed since the All-Star break. He has a team-high .284 batting average and 67 RBIs to go with 17 homers.
After retaining Morales through the July 31 trade deadline, the belief was that Mariners general manager Jack Zduriencik would give the soon-to-be free agent a qualifying offer after the season in an attempt to re-sign him. But with Morales being put on waivers, that scenario now seems a little less likely.
Please login below with your Facebook, Twitter, Google+ or Disqus account. Existing MyNorthwest account holders will need to create a new Disqus account or use one of the social logins provided below. Thank you.
- Former Seahawks DE Red Bryant signs with Jaguars
- Seahawks give second-round tender to Doug Baldwin
- Reports: Michael Bennett to test free agency
- Seahawks should pass on Brandon Browner
- Browner's reinstatement includes four-game ban
- Golden Tate states his case for a nice contract
- More Seattle Seahawks »
- ESPN's Kurkjian: Corey Hart 'crucial' for M's offense
- Notebook: Felix, Seager remember first time they faced
- Paxton says September success gives him confidence
- Mariners notebook: Rodney ready for a strong start
- John Stearns puts Mariners first and steps down
- Walker plays catch, expects to throw again Friday
- More Seattle Mariners »