Updated Aug 27, 2013 - 2:55 pm
Mariners' Kendrys Morales claimed off waivers
Kendrys Morales' days in the Mariners' clubhouse may be numbered.
Kendrys Morales leads the Mariners in batting average and RBIs this season. (AP)
An unknown team has claimed the Mariners' first baseman/designated hitter off of waivers, according to FOX Sports' Jon Paul Morosi. The Mariners have until Saturday to work out a deal with the team that made the claim.
Morales, who was acquired from the Angels for starting pitcher Jason Vargas, has been one of the Mariners' best hitters this season, though he has regressed since the All-Star break. He has a team-high .284 batting average and 67 RBIs to go with 17 homers.
After retaining Morales through the July 31 trade deadline, the belief was that Mariners general manager Jack Zduriencik would give the soon-to-be free agent a qualifying offer after the season in an attempt to re-sign him. But with Morales being put on waivers, that scenario now seems a little less likely.
Please login below with your Facebook, Twitter, Google+ or Disqus account. Existing MyNorthwest account holders will need to create a new Disqus account or use one of the social logins provided below. Thank you.
- Wyman, Mike and Moore
'Russellmania' gets one Seahawk star treatment
- Brock Huard
Chalk Talk: Wilson and Baldwin beat Saints' blitz
- Shannon Drayer
Mariners' Jack Zduriencik isn't tipping his hand
- Seahawks notebook: Percy Harvin held out of practice
- 49ers' Joe Looney takes on key offensive line role
- Chalk Talk: Wilson and Baldwin beat the Saints' blitz
- 49ers remind fans about 'home field advantage plan'
- 49ers prepare to stay composed in emotional game
- What we learned from Seahawks' win over Saints
- More Seattle Seahawks »
- Rick Rizzs and Toys for Kids make thousands of area children happy at Christmas
- Mariners notebook: Robinson Cano talk heating up
- Seattle hires Wilson as minor league coach
- Notebook: Mariners close to signing Willie Bloomquist
- Howard Lincoln on the Mariners' search for a president
- What's next in the Mariners' search for a president?
- More Seattle Mariners »