Updated Sep 22, 2013 - 2:58 pm
Mariners-Angels game delayed by swarm of bees
ANAHEIM, Calif. (AP) - A swarm of bees invaded right field at Angel Stadium on Sunday, causing two delays in the Los Angeles Angels' game against the Seattle Mariners.
The Angels had two runners on and two outs in the third inning when the bees clustered near the wall in right-center field. Seattle right fielder Franklin Gutierrez and his teammates retreated to the infield.
Umpires delayed the game, and the teams eventually went to their dugouts. Many fans left their seats for the stadium tunnels, but many more stayed.
Two men took the field with a Gatorade bucket, a broom and a cardboard box to battle the bees, and the game eventually resumed after a 23-minute delay.
But the game was delayed briefly again in the fourth inning when Angels outfielders Mike Trout and Kole Calhoun began swatting at bees. The second delay lasted only a few minutes while the grounds crew set off a small, smoking deterrent in right field.
In May, a swarm of bees invaded the visitors' dugout at Kauffman Stadium in Kansas City while the Angels were in town, preventing Los Angeles from using its dugout until about 90 minutes before game time.
Trout passed the time during the first delay by throwing balls to fans.
(Copyright 2013 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)
Please login below with your Facebook, Twitter, Google+ or Disqus account. Existing MyNorthwest account holders will need to create a new Disqus account or use one of the social logins provided below. Thank you.
- Wyman, Mike and Moore
'Russellmania' gets one Seahawk star treatment
- Brock Huard
Chalk Talk: Wilson and Baldwin beat Saints' blitz
- Shannon Drayer
Bloomquist talks about his return to Mariners
- Person of Interest: 49ers' Colin Kaepernick
- 'Russellmania' gets one Seahawk the star treatment
- Seahawks notebook: Percy Harvin held out of practice
- 49ers' Joe Looney takes on key offensive line role
- Chalk Talk: Wilson and Baldwin beat the Saints' blitz
- 49ers remind fans about 'home field advantage plan'
- More Seattle Seahawks »
- Willie Bloomquist talks about his return and hints at more moves to come
- Mariners' Jack Zduriencik isn't tipping his hand
- Rick Rizzs and Toys for Kids make thousands of area children happy at Christmas
- Mariners notebook: Robinson Cano talk heating up
- Seattle hires Wilson as minor league coach
- Notebook: Mariners close to signing Willie Bloomquist
- More Seattle Mariners »