Updated Sep 22, 2013 - 2:58 pm
Mariners-Angels game delayed by swarm of bees
ANAHEIM, Calif. (AP) - A swarm of bees invaded right field at Angel Stadium on Sunday, causing two delays in the Los Angeles Angels' game against the Seattle Mariners.
The Angels had two runners on and two outs in the third inning when the bees clustered near the wall in right-center field. Seattle right fielder Franklin Gutierrez and his teammates retreated to the infield.
Umpires delayed the game, and the teams eventually went to their dugouts. Many fans left their seats for the stadium tunnels, but many more stayed.
Two men took the field with a Gatorade bucket, a broom and a cardboard box to battle the bees, and the game eventually resumed after a 23-minute delay.
But the game was delayed briefly again in the fourth inning when Angels outfielders Mike Trout and Kole Calhoun began swatting at bees. The second delay lasted only a few minutes while the grounds crew set off a small, smoking deterrent in right field.
In May, a swarm of bees invaded the visitors' dugout at Kauffman Stadium in Kansas City while the Angels were in town, preventing Los Angeles from using its dugout until about 90 minutes before game time.
Trout passed the time during the first delay by throwing balls to fans.
(Copyright 2013 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)
Please login below with your Facebook, Twitter, Google+ or Disqus account. Existing MyNorthwest account holders will need to create a new Disqus account or use one of the social logins provided below. Thank you.
- Danny O'Neil
Giants game will be prime opportunity for Seahawks
- Jim Moore
Rooting against Huskies' Petersen won't be easy
- Bob and Groz
Willson showing why the Seahawks wanted him
- Seahawks notebook: Percy Harvin sits out again
- Giants game will be a prime opportunity for Seahawks
- Seahawks fans outraged by depiction in Dr. Dre commercial
- Luke Willson showing why the Seahawks wanted him
- Hawk Talk: Live Seahawks chat with Danny O'Neil
- Should the Seahawks have let the 49ers score?
- More Seattle Seahawks »
- Seattle signs Hart, acquires Morrison
- Mariners agree to deal with Corey Hart, reportedly acquire Logan Morrison in trade
- Report paints an ugly picture of Mariners' front office
- Zduriencik addresses Wedge's comments, Cano's deal and other potential Mariners moves
- Mariners notes: In defense of Cano's contract
- Mariners notes, links from Day 1 of winter meetings
- More Seattle Mariners »