Updated Sep 24, 2013 - 6:05 pm
Report: Mariners confirm Zduriencik will return in 2014
Jack Zduriencik will indeed be back as the Mariners' general manager in 2014, according to Geoff Baker of The Seattle Times.
Zduriencik's future has been unclear due to the team's refusal to publicly confirm reports that he received a contract extension last offseason, but team president Chuck Armstrong confirmed to Baker on Tuesday that the Mariners aren't making a change at general manager – at least not for another year; Armstrong declined to specify how long Zduriencik is under contract.
Zduriencik, speaking with Baker, declined to say when he was informed that he would be retained.
"You always operate on the basis that you're going to keep doing the job," Zduriencik told Baker. "That's what I've been doing. It is been business as usual."
The Mariners are 68-89 entering Tuesday's game, approaching what would be their third 90-loss season in the five years since Zduriencik took over. Zduriencik received a contract extension in 2011 that ran through this season.
Manager Eric Wedge's contract was to expire at the end of this season, and Zduriencik told Baker that he'll decide on the manager's future once the season is over.
Please login below with your Facebook, Twitter, Google+ or Disqus account. Existing MyNorthwest account holders will need to create a new Disqus account or use one of the social logins provided below. Thank you.
- Danny O'Neil
Giants game will be prime opportunity for Seahawks
- Jim Moore
Rooting against Huskies' Petersen won't be easy
- Bob and Groz
Willson showing why the Seahawks wanted him
- Smith stepping into important role for Seahawks
- Seahawks notebook: Percy Harvin sits out again
- Giants game will be a prime opportunity for Seahawks
- Seahawks fans outraged by depiction in Dr. Dre commercial
- Luke Willson showing why the Seahawks wanted him
- Hawk Talk: Live Seahawks chat with Danny O'Neil
- More Seattle Seahawks »
- Seattle signs Hart, acquires Morrison
- Mariners agree to deal with Corey Hart, reportedly acquire Logan Morrison in trade
- Report paints an ugly picture of Mariners' front office
- Zduriencik addresses Wedge's comments, Cano's deal and other potential Mariners moves
- Mariners notes: In defense of Cano's contract
- Mariners notes, links from Day 1 of winter meetings
- More Seattle Mariners »