Updated Sep 25, 2013 - 6:33 pm
Wedge unhappy about uncertain future with Mariners
Without a contract beyond this season, Mariners manager Eric Wedge expressed some displeasure on Wednesday regarding his uncertain future with the club.
"It's tough. I feel like I'm hanging out there, that's the reality of it," Wedge told reporters.
Wedge, in the final year of a three-year contract he signed before the 2011 season, confirmed to reporters that he hasn't been given an extension and that the lack of clarity he has on his status heading into next season has put him in a tough spot.
"It is difficult. We shouldn't be in this situation," Wedge said. "But you man up, you handle it. It's what you do. When you're leading men, the men like to know who and what they're being led by and if they're going to be around tomorrow. So it does change the dynamic. But I knew that a long time ago. This is not just starting, it's been this way for quite a while. It gets to be in the way."
Wedge's comments come a day after the Mariners confirmed that general manager Jack Zduriencik will be back next season. Wedge said he expects a decision to be made on his future "some time between now and the end of the season or right after the season ends."
Wedge is 211-271 in three seasons with the Mariners, who improved their record in his first two seasons but will fall short of last year's win total of 75 by at least two games.
Wedge has been steadfast in his public assurances that his young team will turn the corner under his direction, and he reaffirmed on Wednesday his desire to be the one who turns the Mariners into a winning club.
"The worst thing they could do is blow it up right now and start over," he said. "You've got to stick with something at some point in time."
Please login below with your Facebook, Twitter, Google+ or Disqus account. Existing MyNorthwest account holders will need to create a new Disqus account or use one of the social logins provided below. Thank you.
- Wyman, Mike and Moore
'Russellmania' gets one Seahawk star treatment
- Brock Huard
Chalk Talk: Wilson and Baldwin beat Saints' blitz
- Shannon Drayer
Mariners' Jack Zduriencik isn't tipping his hand
- Seahawks notebook: Percy Harvin held out of practice
- 49ers' Joe Looney takes on key offensive line role
- Chalk Talk: Wilson and Baldwin beat the Saints' blitz
- 49ers remind fans about 'home field advantage plan'
- 49ers prepare to stay composed in emotional game
- What we learned from Seahawks' win over Saints
- More Seattle Seahawks »
- Rick Rizzs and Toys for Kids make thousands of area children happy at Christmas
- Mariners notebook: Robinson Cano talk heating up
- Seattle hires Wilson as minor league coach
- Notebook: Mariners close to signing Willie Bloomquist
- Howard Lincoln on the Mariners' search for a president
- What's next in the Mariners' search for a president?
- More Seattle Mariners »