Updated Jan 29, 2014 - 11:37 am
Mariners trade Peguero to Royals, add Baker
The 26-year-old Peguero has spent parts of the last three seasons with Seattle. He is a career .195 hitter with nine home runs and 27 RBIs in 219 at-bats in the majors.
He ranked seventh in the Pacific Coast League with 19 homers in 2013, along with a .260 batting average, 28 doubles and 83 RBIs at Triple-A Tacoma. Peguero was designated for assignment on Jan. 16 when the Mariners signed free agent catcher John Buck.
Kansas City also designated left-handed pitcher Everett Teaford for assignment. Teaford made one appearance for the Royals in 2013, pitching two-thirds of an inning at Cleveland on July 14.
Seattle also agreed to a minor league contract with 32-year-old right-hander Scott Baker, who had elbow ligament replacement surgery in April 2012. He made three starts for the Chicago Cubs last September, pitching 15 innings with a 3.60 ERA and no record. Baker has a 63-48 record with a 4.14 ERA in 162 starts and four relief appearances with Minnesota (2005-11) and the Cubs.
(Copyright 2014 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)
Please login below with your Facebook, Twitter, Google+ or Disqus account. Existing MyNorthwest account holders will need to create a new Disqus account or use one of the social logins provided below. Thank you.
- M's Walker diagnosed with shoulder impingement
- Mariners promote Nick Franklin; move Morrison to DL
- Don't expect to see big changes in M's lineup soon
- M's notebook: Walker scratched from Tacoma start
- Mariners add run on replay, beat Rangers 7-1
- M's notebook: Why not move Ackley up in lineup?
- More Seattle Mariners »
- Sidney Rice returns to the Seahawks with reported 1-year-deal
- Video: Seahawks stay mum on Lockette with TMZ paparazzi
- Seahawks with the most to gain: No. 4, Byron Maxwell
- Seahawks should bring back Sidney Rice at a discount
- Russell Wilson, Seahawks keep busy in offseason California workouts
- Report: Seahawks' Lockette made 911 call
- More Seattle Seahawks »