Updated Feb 26, 2014 - 5:09 pm
Mariners voice opposition to since-vetoed Arizona bill
The Mariners become the latest organization to publicly oppose Arizona Senate Bill 1062 Wednesday, releasing a statement in which the club denounced the controversial measure shortly before it was vetoed.
The bill – which the Arizona Legislature passed last week but was vetoed by Gov. Jan Brewer – would have allowed businesses to deny services to gay and lesbian customers based on religious objections.
"The Seattle Mariners have enjoyed 37 years of spring training in Arizona. Our fans flock to Peoria for baseball in March, and have always been made to feel welcome by the businesses and good people of Arizona. This should apply to all of our fans," CEO Howard Lincoln said in the statement.
"The Mariners respect and value diversity. We welcome fans of all races, colors, religious beliefs, nationalities, ages, and sexual orientations. We believe that intolerance has no place in our game or society. Unfortunately, Senate Bill 1062 sends a message that not everyone is welcome. We hope Governor Brewer will reject that message."
MLB took a similar stance Wednesday, saying it "has a zero-tolerance policy for harassment or discrimination based on sexual orientation."
Please login below with your Facebook, Twitter, Google+ or Disqus account. Existing MyNorthwest account holders will need to create a new Disqus account or use one of the social logins provided below. Thank you.
- M's notebook: Walker scratched from Tacoma start
- Mariners add run on replay, beat Rangers 7-1
- M's notebook: Why not move Ackley up in lineup?
- M's Chris Young has put shoulder issues behind him
- Could beards be the reason fans aren't connecting to the Mariners?
- Mariners notebook: Disappointing weekend for offense
- More Seattle Mariners »
- Report: Seahawks' Lockette made 911 call
- Seahawks with the most to gain: Bruce Irvin
- Report: Woman transported from Kaepernick's hotel
- 49ers' Colin Kaepernick responds to reports of 'suspicious incident'
- Lakewood is celebrating Jermaine Kearse Day
- Hawk Talk: Wright and the Seahawks' LB precedent
- More Seattle Seahawks »