Updated Nov 21, 2012 - 11:35 am
Women's soccer league to include Portland, Seattle
The other teams are based in Boston, Chicago, western New York, New Jersey, Kansas City and Washington, D.C.
The season is expected to start in March or April and conclude in September or October.
Portland Timbers owner Merritt Paulson will also invest in the women's league. He said Wednesday that the Timbers are pleased to do their part to help establish a top-flight women's league in the United States.
Paulson says the new team's name and logo will be released in the coming weeks.
(Copyright 2012 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)
Please login below with your Facebook, Twitter, Google+ or Disqus account. Existing MyNorthwest account holders will need to create a new Disqus account or use one of the social logins provided below. Thank you.
- Report: Seahawks to re-sign Anthony McCoy
- Seahawks' Luke Willson agrees to go to high school prom
- Seahawks keep Michael Bennett with four-year deal
- Report: Seahawks favorites for Michael Bennett
- Trading for Graham would cost the Seahawks a fortune
- Former Seahawks DE Red Bryant signs with Jaguars
- More Seattle Seahawks »
- Will Miller or Franklin be the M's starting shortstop?
- Mariners' pitchers have a new focus under Waits
- ESPN's Kurkjian: Corey Hart 'crucial' for M's offense
- Notebook: Felix, Seager remember first time they faced
- Paxton says September success gives him confidence
- Mariners notebook: Rodney ready for a strong start
- More Seattle Mariners »