Updated Jan 9, 2013 - 2:44 pm
Arena design proposal now boasts pop of color among Seattle's skyline
One architect on the project referred to it as "The Icon," according to KING 5.
The architects say that at night the orange cylindrically shaped portion of the arena would glow.
Other design changes may include the use of more glass, a terraced entry and a civic "front porch."
The original design submissions from 360 Architecture were reviewed for the first time by a citizens panel of experts Tuesday night.
The five-member-citizen panel, the Downtown Design Review Board, quizzed arena investor Chris Hansen's architects about how their designs fit into local development guidelines.
The formal design review process is a first-of-its kind for a Seattle sports facility.
The options for the $490 million, 18,000- to 20,000-seat facility includes soaring glass, brick and concrete walls, wide, cascading entrance steps, with views of Elliot Bay from the top.
360 Architecture Inc. has told the city's Design and Review Board that the new arena will be unique and pedestrian friendly, and blend well with the neighborhood.
The design proposals, including the preferred design with "Icon" addendum include several "pros" and a couple of "cons" -
Some of the Pros:
- strong visual and inspirational connections to downtown to the north.
- transparency at interior public circulation is maximized to allow views to and from and create way-finding by landmarks.
- terraced entry plaza and multiple outdoor decks allows for different scales of activities and create a ceremonial civic "front porch."
- open space gathered to northwest - terraced de-sign less ideal for very large gatherings.
- contemporary fenestration approach relies on materiality to blend with context.
Follow MyNorthwest.com, Staff report
Please login below with your Facebook, Twitter, Google+ or Disqus account. Existing MyNorthwest account holders will need to create a new Disqus account or use one of the social logins provided below. Thank you.
- Danny O'Neil
Giants game will be prime opportunity for Seahawks
- Jim Moore
Rooting against Huskies' Petersen won't be easy
- Bob and Groz
Willson showing why the Seahawks wanted him
- Seahawks notebook: Percy Harvin sits out again
- Giants game will be a prime opportunity for Seahawks
- Seahawks fans outraged by depiction in Dr. Dre commercial
- Luke Willson showing why the Seahawks wanted him
- Hawk Talk: Live Seahawks chat with Danny O'Neil
- Should the Seahawks have let the 49ers score?
- More Seattle Seahawks »
- Seattle signs Hart, acquires Morrison
- Mariners agree to deal with Corey Hart, reportedly acquire Logan Morrison in trade
- Report paints an ugly picture of Mariners' front office
- Zduriencik addresses Wedge's comments, Cano's deal and other potential Mariners moves
- Mariners notes: In defense of Cano's contract
- Mariners notes, links from Day 1 of winter meetings
- More Seattle Mariners »