Updated Jan 28, 2013 - 2:33 pm
Sacramento 'whale' watch: Fitness magnate meets with Kings investors, mayor
Mastrov, the founder of 24 Hour Fitness, gathered Monday with the business leaders who each committed $1 million to help buy the team, the Sacramento Bee reported.
Mastrov is reportedly in serious talks with billionaire Ron Burkle to partner on a bid to buy the Kings and build a new downtown arena to keep the team from moving to Seattle.
Burkle, co-owner of the NHL's Pittsburgh Penguins, met last week with NBA Commissioner David Stern in New York, numerous sources said. He also reportedly met with Johnson.
Mastrov reportedly lost out in a 2010 bid to buy the NBA's Golden State Warriors.
Sacramento Mayor Kevin Johnson said last week he expects to introduce several major equity partners to lead the effort to purchase the Kings from the Maloof family. The NBA has promised he can present a counter-offer at the league's Board of Governors meeting in April.
NBA insider Kevin Pelton with ESPN tells the Luke Burbank Show anyone who thinks they know what's going to happen is simply guessing, because the league owners can ultimately do whatever they want.
"It's fundamentally the right of sports leagues, they've they've maintained they've been able to approve or turn down offers for other teams within the league." In other words, even if Hansen has an exclusive deal with the Maloofs, the owners can veto it.
Pelton says it's an essentially unprecedented situation, and predicting an outcome is impossible because although the league has been historically reluctant to block a sale unless finances are an issue, it's also reluctant to have franchises move (excluding Seattle, where the city refused to fund a new arena.)
Ultimately, Pelton says he wouldn't be surprised to see the matter end up in court, with Hansen potentially suing Sacramento for interfering with a legally binding contract.
Follow Josh Kerns, MyNorthwest.com Reporter
Please login below with your Facebook, Twitter, Google+ or Disqus account. Existing MyNorthwest account holders will need to create a new Disqus account or use one of the social logins provided below. Thank you.
- Shannon Drayer
What to make of Cano's meeting with Mariners
- Wyman, Mike and Moore
'Russellmania' gets one Seahawk star treatment
- Brock Huard
Chalk Talk: Wilson and Baldwin beat Saints' blitz
- Watch a live stream of 'The Huddle'
- Person of Interest: 49ers' Colin Kaepernick
- 'Russellmania' gets one Seahawk the star treatment
- Seahawks notebook: Percy Harvin held out of practice
- 49ers' Joe Looney takes on key offensive line role
- Chalk Talk: Wilson and Baldwin beat the Saints' blitz
- More Seattle Seahawks »
- Willie Bloomquist talks about his return and hints at more moves to come
- Mariners' Jack Zduriencik isn't tipping his hand
- Rick Rizzs and Toys for Kids make thousands of area children happy at Christmas
- Mariners notebook: Robinson Cano talk heating up
- Seattle hires Wilson as minor league coach
- Notebook: Mariners close to signing Willie Bloomquist
- More Seattle Mariners »