Updated Mar 25, 2013 - 7:41 pm
Sacramento adds fourth major investor to NBA effort to keep Kings
The Jacobs family, heads of technology giant Qualcomm, are the latest partners, the Bee reported. Billionaire software entrepreneur Vivek Ranadive, who just joined the team of billionaire Ron Burkle and 24 Hour Fitness founder Mark Mastrov last week, made the announcement himself.
"I'm happy to add I am adding the legendary Jacobs family to the dream team tonight," he said of the San Diego-based company.
The Bee reports Qualcomm is one of the largest companies in America, with more than $19 billion in earnings last year.
But Ranadive insisted while the group adds even more financial might to the effort to counter investor Chris Hansen's bid to buy the Kings and move them to Seattle, they didn't need the Jacobs money.
"Each person in this has the capacity to do this on their own," he told the Bee in his first interview since signing on to the Sacramento effort. "This is about building a global brand. It's about putting more wood behind the arrow."
The Sacramento City Council is expected to approve a financing package with the investment group Tuesday for a new downtown arena.
The NBA's Board of Governors will consider both the Sacramento and Seattle bids at a special meeting in New York City April 3.
Follow Josh Kerns, MyNorthwest.com Reporter
Please login below with your Facebook, Twitter, Google+ or Disqus account. Existing MyNorthwest account holders will need to create a new Disqus account or use one of the social logins provided below. Thank you.
- Wyman, Mike and Moore
'Russellmania' gets one Seahawk star treatment
- Brock Huard
Chalk Talk: Wilson and Baldwin beat Saints' blitz
- Shannon Drayer
Mariners' Jack Zduriencik isn't tipping his hand
- Seahawks notebook: Percy Harvin held out of practice
- 49ers' Joe Looney takes on key offensive line role
- Chalk Talk: Wilson and Baldwin beat the Saints' blitz
- 49ers remind fans about 'home field advantage plan'
- 49ers prepare to stay composed in emotional game
- What we learned from Seahawks' win over Saints
- More Seattle Seahawks »
- Rick Rizzs and Toys for Kids make thousands of area children happy at Christmas
- Mariners notebook: Robinson Cano talk heating up
- Seattle hires Wilson as minor league coach
- Notebook: Mariners close to signing Willie Bloomquist
- Howard Lincoln on the Mariners' search for a president
- What's next in the Mariners' search for a president?
- More Seattle Mariners »