Updated Apr 5, 2013 - 10:43 am
Gary Payton heading to Hall of Fame
Sonics great Gary Payton will be elected to the Basketball Hall of Fame, according to Scott Howard-Cooper of NBA.com. The class will be announced Monday. Payton, on the ballot for the first time, was one of 12 finalists.
"Thanks for the love everyone....incredible honor, couldnt have done it without my great fans who backed me n motivated me thru-out my career," Payton tweeted Friday.
Payton was a nine-time All Star during his 17 NBA seasons, 13 of which he spent in Seattle. Nicknamed "The Glove" for his stifling defense, Payton made the All-Defensive First Team nine times and ranks fourth all-time in steals. He's also eighth in career assists.
Payton's resume also includes an NBA championship and a pair of Olympic Gold medals.
The 2013 inductees will be enshrined in September.
Follow Brady Henderson, MyNorthwest.com Sports Editor
Please login below with your Facebook, Twitter, Google+ or Disqus account. Existing MyNorthwest account holders will need to create a new Disqus account or use one of the social logins provided below. Thank you.
- Report: Seahawks to re-sign Anthony McCoy
- Seahawks' Luke Willson agrees to go to high school prom
- Seahawks keep Michael Bennett with four-year deal
- Report: Seahawks favorites for Michael Bennett
- Trading for Graham would cost the Seahawks a fortune
- Former Seahawks DE Red Bryant signs with Jaguars
- More Seattle Seahawks »
- Will Miller or Franklin be the M's starting shortstop?
- Mariners' pitchers have a new focus under Waits
- ESPN's Kurkjian: Corey Hart 'crucial' for M's offense
- Notebook: Felix, Seager remember first time they faced
- Paxton says September success gives him confidence
- Mariners notebook: Rodney ready for a strong start
- More Seattle Mariners »