Updated Apr 5, 2013 - 10:43 am
Gary Payton heading to Hall of Fame
Sonics great Gary Payton will be elected to the Basketball Hall of Fame, according to Scott Howard-Cooper of NBA.com. The class will be announced Monday. Payton, on the ballot for the first time, was one of 12 finalists.
"Thanks for the love everyone....incredible honor, couldnt have done it without my great fans who backed me n motivated me thru-out my career," Payton tweeted Friday.
Payton was a nine-time All Star during his 17 NBA seasons, 13 of which he spent in Seattle. Nicknamed "The Glove" for his stifling defense, Payton made the All-Defensive First Team nine times and ranks fourth all-time in steals. He's also eighth in career assists.
Payton's resume also includes an NBA championship and a pair of Olympic Gold medals.
The 2013 inductees will be enshrined in September.
Follow Brady Henderson, MyNorthwest.com Sports Editor
Please login below with your Facebook, Twitter, Google+ or Disqus account. Existing MyNorthwest account holders will need to create a new Disqus account or use one of the social logins provided below. Thank you.
- Jim Moore
Rooting against Huskies' Petersen won't be easy
- Bob and Groz
Willson showing why the Seahawks wanted him
- Danny O'Neil
Should the Seahawks have let the 49ers score?
- Luke Willson showing why the Seahawks wanted him
- Hawk Talk: Live Seahawks chat with Danny O'Neil
- Should the Seahawks have let the 49ers score?
- What we learned from the Seahawks' loss to the 49ers
- Seahawks will wait and see with center Max Unger
- 49ers hand out cards telling fans to sit down
- More Seattle Seahawks »
- Zduriencik addresses Wedge's comments, Cano's deal and other potential Mariners moves
- Mariners notes: In defense of Cano's contract
- Mariners notes, links from Day 1 of winter meetings
- Mariners' statement from Zduriencik on Times article
- For Mariners, plenty of work to be done in Orlando
- Ten things you should know about Robinson Cano
- More Seattle Mariners »