Updated Apr 5, 2013 - 10:43 am
Gary Payton heading to Hall of Fame
Sonics great Gary Payton will be elected to the Basketball Hall of Fame, according to Scott Howard-Cooper of NBA.com. The class will be announced Monday. Payton, on the ballot for the first time, was one of 12 finalists.
"Thanks for the love everyone....incredible honor, couldnt have done it without my great fans who backed me n motivated me thru-out my career," Payton tweeted Friday.
Payton was a nine-time All Star during his 17 NBA seasons, 13 of which he spent in Seattle. Nicknamed "The Glove" for his stifling defense, Payton made the All-Defensive First Team nine times and ranks fourth all-time in steals. He's also eighth in career assists.
Payton's resume also includes an NBA championship and a pair of Olympic Gold medals.
The 2013 inductees will be enshrined in September.
Follow Brady Henderson, MyNorthwest.com Sports Editor
Please login below with your Facebook, Twitter, Google+ or Disqus account. Existing MyNorthwest account holders will need to create a new Disqus account or use one of the social logins provided below. Thank you.
- Changes coming after the Mariners' 8th straight loss?
- McHugh strikes out 12 as Astros beat Seattle 5-2
- Dominguez homers to lead Astros over Mariners
- Paxton and Walker optimistic they will be cleared to throw this week
- M's coaches on changes needed if transfer rule stays
- Mariners notebook: Brad Miller gets his first day off
- More Seattle Mariners »