Updated Apr 5, 2013 - 10:43 am
Gary Payton heading to Hall of Fame
Sonics great Gary Payton will be elected to the Basketball Hall of Fame, according to Scott Howard-Cooper of NBA.com. The class will be announced Monday. Payton, on the ballot for the first time, was one of 12 finalists.
"Thanks for the love everyone....incredible honor, couldnt have done it without my great fans who backed me n motivated me thru-out my career," Payton tweeted Friday.
Payton was a nine-time All Star during his 17 NBA seasons, 13 of which he spent in Seattle. Nicknamed "The Glove" for his stifling defense, Payton made the All-Defensive First Team nine times and ranks fourth all-time in steals. He's also eighth in career assists.
Payton's resume also includes an NBA championship and a pair of Olympic Gold medals.
The 2013 inductees will be enshrined in September.
Follow Brady Henderson, MyNorthwest.com Sports Editor
Please login below with your Facebook, Twitter, Google+ or Disqus account. Existing MyNorthwest account holders will need to create a new Disqus account or use one of the social logins provided below. Thank you.
- Seahawks should pass on Brandon Browner
- Browner's reinstatement includes four-game ban
- Golden Tate states his case for a nice contract
- Report: Seahawks tender RFA Jeron Johnson
- Russell Wilson's Rangers jersey a top MLB seller
- Seahawks QB Russell Wilson turned down 'Dancing with the Stars'
- More Seattle Seahawks »
- Walker plays catch, expects to throw again Friday
- Mariners notebook: McClendon 'anxious' to see Walker
- Mariners notebook: Roster reduced to 55
- 'Cactus League Report' recap and podcast
- Mariners notebook: Taijuan Walker on his way back
- Mariners' outfield defense can be much better in 2014
- More Seattle Mariners »