Updated Apr 5, 2013 - 10:43 am
Gary Payton heading to Hall of Fame
Sonics great Gary Payton will be elected to the Basketball Hall of Fame, according to Scott Howard-Cooper of NBA.com. The class will be announced Monday. Payton, on the ballot for the first time, was one of 12 finalists.
"Thanks for the love everyone....incredible honor, couldnt have done it without my great fans who backed me n motivated me thru-out my career," Payton tweeted Friday.
Payton was a nine-time All Star during his 17 NBA seasons, 13 of which he spent in Seattle. Nicknamed "The Glove" for his stifling defense, Payton made the All-Defensive First Team nine times and ranks fourth all-time in steals. He's also eighth in career assists.
Payton's resume also includes an NBA championship and a pair of Olympic Gold medals.
The 2013 inductees will be enshrined in September.
Follow Brady Henderson, MyNorthwest.com Sports Editor
Please login below with your Facebook, Twitter, Google+ or Disqus account. Existing MyNorthwest account holders will need to create a new Disqus account or use one of the social logins provided below. Thank you.
- Brady Henderson
Seahawks burned again by 49ers' Frank Gore
- Brady Henderson
Seahawks notebook: Penalties add up in loss
- Shannon Drayer
M's should be busy at baseball's winter meetings
- 5 things to know after 49ers edge Seahawks 19-17
- Seahawks' slugfest loss an example of what to expect
- Seahawks notebook: 'The penalties, they killed us'
- Column: Road to Super Bowl still through Seattle
- 49ers edge Seahawks 19-17 after late field goal
- Seahawks missing Percy Harvin as expected
- More Seattle Seahawks »
- For Mariners, plenty of work to be done in Orlando
- Ten things you should know about Robinson Cano
- Pundits weigh in on Mariners' deal with Robinson Cano
- Reports: Mariners land Robinson Cano on 10-year deal
- What to make of Cano's meeting with Mariners
- Willie Bloomquist talks about his return and hints at more moves to come
- More Seattle Mariners »