Updated Nov 29, 2013 - 4:22 pm
Kidd: Spilled drink was about 'trying to win'
HOUSTON (AP) - Jason Kidd said he was just "trying to win" when he intentionally spilled a drink on the court, a stunt that cost him $50,000.
The Brooklyn Nets coach was fined on Thursday, with the NBA saying he intentionally spilled his drink as a stall tactic.
He tried to avoid talking about it Friday, but when pressed, he relented.
"Paul (Pierce) got a great look, but the league fined me for something that I probably shouldn't have done," he said. "We'll move on."
Kidd bumped into Brooklyn reserve Tyshawn Taylor with 8.3 seconds left on Wednesday against the Lakers, causing his drink to spill. A video of the play showed Kidd seeming to ask Taylor to "hit me" as the guard walked toward the bench.
The Nets had time to draw up a play while the floor was being cleaned after the spill but still lost 99-94.
Kidd was asked if he regretted the unusual move and why he decided to go with it.
"It's about trying to win and those guys in that locker room, and I tried to put those guys in a position to get a basket, a good look and we did," he said.
He was also questioned on where he came up with the ploy.
"Um, just listening to other coaches or other owners talk about coaches and what they've done," he said.
Houston coach Kevin McHale offered a one word answer when he was asked for his opinion on the move before Friday night's game against the Nets.
"Expensive," he said with a smile.
When Kidd was told of the comment, he, too, smiled.
"Yes, it was," he said and shook his head.
Kidd, who is in his first year as a coach, was suspended for the first two games of the season after pleading guilty in a drunken driving case.
The Nets are off to a 4-11 start entering Friday's game.
(Copyright 2013 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)
Please login below with your Facebook, Twitter, Google+ or Disqus account. Existing MyNorthwest account holders will need to create a new Disqus account or use one of the social logins provided below. Thank you.
- M's notebook: Walker scratched from Tacoma start
- Mariners add run on replay, beat Rangers 7-1
- M's notebook: Why not move Ackley up in lineup?
- M's Chris Young has put shoulder issues behind him
- Could beards be the reason fans aren't connecting to the Mariners?
- Mariners notebook: Disappointing weekend for offense
- More Seattle Mariners »
- Report: Seahawks' Lockette made 911 call
- Seahawks with the most to gain: Bruce Irvin
- Report: Woman transported from Kaepernick's hotel
- 49ers' Colin Kaepernick responds to reports of 'suspicious incident'
- Lakewood is celebrating Jermaine Kearse Day
- Hawk Talk: Wright and the Seahawks' LB precedent
- More Seattle Seahawks »