Updated Sep 9, 2013 - 10:59 pm
Panthers lose starting RG Williams for the season
CHARLOTTE, N.C. (AP) - The Panthers announced that starting right guard Garry Williams has torn the ACL and MCL in his left knee and will miss the remainder of the season.
The news came Monday shortly after coach Ron Rivera addressed the media at his weekly press conference.
The injury occurred in the first half of Carolina's 12-7 loss to Seattle after a Seahawks defensive lineman rolled up on Williams' leg.
The five-year pro won the starting right guard spot in training camp prompting the Panthers to release veteran guard Geoff Hangartner.
Rivera said earlier Chris Scott would likely replace Williams at right guard.
It's Williams' second major injury.
He broke his ankle in Carolina's final preseason game in 2011 after earning a starting spot earlier that summer.
(Copyright 2013 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)
Please login below with your Facebook, Twitter, Google+ or Disqus account. Existing MyNorthwest account holders will need to create a new Disqus account or use one of the social logins provided below. Thank you.
- Changes coming after the Mariners' 8th straight loss?
- McHugh strikes out 12 as Astros beat Seattle 5-2
- Dominguez homers to lead Astros over Mariners
- Paxton and Walker optimistic they will be cleared to throw this week
- M's coaches on changes needed if transfer rule stays
- Mariners notebook: Brad Miller gets his first day off
- More Seattle Mariners »
- Richard Sherman talks race with Harvard students
- Seahawks to open vs. Packers, play 49ers on Thanksgiving
- Seahawks' Russell Wilson files for divorce
- Marcus Trufant to retire as a Seahawk
- Baldwin hoping for long-term deal with Seahawks
- What do the Seahawks have planned for Pryor?
- More Seattle Seahawks »