Updated Sep 9, 2013 - 10:59 pm
Panthers lose starting RG Williams for the season
CHARLOTTE, N.C. (AP) - The Panthers announced that starting right guard Garry Williams has torn the ACL and MCL in his left knee and will miss the remainder of the season.
The news came Monday shortly after coach Ron Rivera addressed the media at his weekly press conference.
The injury occurred in the first half of Carolina's 12-7 loss to Seattle after a Seahawks defensive lineman rolled up on Williams' leg.
The five-year pro won the starting right guard spot in training camp prompting the Panthers to release veteran guard Geoff Hangartner.
Rivera said earlier Chris Scott would likely replace Williams at right guard.
It's Williams' second major injury.
He broke his ankle in Carolina's final preseason game in 2011 after earning a starting spot earlier that summer.
(Copyright 2013 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)
Please login below with your Facebook, Twitter, Google+ or Disqus account. Existing MyNorthwest account holders will need to create a new Disqus account or use one of the social logins provided below. Thank you.
- Seahawks with the most to gain: Christine Michael
- Sidney Rice agrees to one-year deal with Seahawks
- Sidney Rice returns to the Seahawks with reported 1-year-deal
- Video: Seahawks stay mum on Lockette with TMZ paparazzi
- Seahawks with the most to gain: Byron Maxwell
- Seahawks should bring back Sidney Rice at a discount
- More Seattle Seahawks »