Updated Sep 9, 2013 - 10:59 pm
Panthers lose starting RG Williams for the season
CHARLOTTE, N.C. (AP) - The Panthers announced that starting right guard Garry Williams has torn the ACL and MCL in his left knee and will miss the remainder of the season.
The news came Monday shortly after coach Ron Rivera addressed the media at his weekly press conference.
The injury occurred in the first half of Carolina's 12-7 loss to Seattle after a Seahawks defensive lineman rolled up on Williams' leg.
The five-year pro won the starting right guard spot in training camp prompting the Panthers to release veteran guard Geoff Hangartner.
Rivera said earlier Chris Scott would likely replace Williams at right guard.
It's Williams' second major injury.
He broke his ankle in Carolina's final preseason game in 2011 after earning a starting spot earlier that summer.
(Copyright 2013 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)
Please login below with your Facebook, Twitter, Google+ or Disqus account. Existing MyNorthwest account holders will need to create a new Disqus account or use one of the social logins provided below. Thank you.
- Danny O'Neil
Giants game will be prime opportunity for Seahawks
- Jim Moore
Rooting against Huskies' Petersen won't be easy
- Bob and Groz
Willson showing why the Seahawks wanted him
- Seahawks notebook: Percy Harvin sits out again
- Giants game will be a prime opportunity for Seahawks
- Seahawks fans outraged by depiction in Dr. Dre commercial
- Luke Willson showing why the Seahawks wanted him
- Hawk Talk: Live Seahawks chat with Danny O'Neil
- Should the Seahawks have let the 49ers score?
- More Seattle Seahawks »
- Seattle signs Hart, acquires Morrison
- Mariners agree to deal with Corey Hart, reportedly acquire Logan Morrison in trade
- Report paints an ugly picture of Mariners' front office
- Zduriencik addresses Wedge's comments, Cano's deal and other potential Mariners moves
- Mariners notes: In defense of Cano's contract
- Mariners notes, links from Day 1 of winter meetings
- More Seattle Mariners »