Updated Nov 14, 2012 - 9:53 am
Sherman named NFC defensive player of week
By Josh Kerns
The NFL has named Seahawks cornerback Richard Sherman the NFC defensive player of the week for his stellar performance in Seattle's 28-7 win over the Jets Sunday.
Sherman made a score saving third-down interception near the goal line in the second quarter, and a fumble forcing sack in the fourth quarter that helped set up Golden Tate's dramatic touchdown pass to Sidney Rice, his first sack of the year.
The fifth round draft pick is being widely heralded as one of the best in the league. Sherman has only allowed 26 receptions despite being thrown at 54 times(48.1%) and opposing passers have a rating of just 46.1 when throwing at him, Pro Football Focus reports. The Jets were unable to complete any passes against him Sunday, and he batted two balls away along with his interception. Sherman also made three tackles. His four interceptions are tied for third overall in the league.
Bonneville Media encourages site users to express their opinions by posting comments. Our goal is to maintain a civil dialogue in which readers feel comfortable. At times, the comments can descend to personal attacks. Please do not engage in such behavior. We encourage your thoughtful comments which: have a positive and constructive tone, are on topic, are respectful toward others and their opinions. Bonneville reserves the right to remove comments which do not conform to these criteria.
- John Clayton
Video: Clayton trains for his big moment at Safeco
- Wyman, Mike and Moore
GM says Ackley, Harang staying put for now
- Shannon Drayer
Zduriencik on Montero's demotion and future
- With Andino reportedly on waivers and Miller on the move, what's next for the Mariners?
- Law: Zduriencik's seat 'getting hotter by the day'
- Zduriencik says Ackley, Harang staying put for now
- Does Jesus Montero have a future at first base?
- Mariners send slumping C Montero to minors
- Jack Zduriencik on Jesus Montero's demotion, future
- More Seattle Mariners »
- Report: Seahawks' Anthony McCoy has torn Achilles
- Ex-Seahawk Mike Williams resurfaces in CFL
- Seahawks sign local product Justin Veltung
- Where Russell Wilson has shown the most growth
- Which Seahawk is most impacted by Percy Harvin?
- Taking issue with Marshawn Lynch's OTA absence
- More Seattle Seahawks »
- Seattle MF Evans added to US training camp roster
- Johnson scores twice as Sounders beat FC Dallas
- Neagle's two goals lifts Sounders over Earthquakes
- Traore lifts Sounders to 1-0 win over Sporting KC
- Martin lifts Sounders past Rapids 1-0
- Sounders sign former Virginia forward Will Bates
- More Sounders FC »