Updated Nov 14, 2012 - 9:53 am
Sherman named NFC defensive player of week
By Josh Kerns
The NFL has named Seahawks cornerback Richard Sherman the NFC defensive player of the week for his stellar performance in Seattle's 28-7 win over the Jets Sunday.
Sherman made a score saving third-down interception near the goal line in the second quarter, and a fumble forcing sack in the fourth quarter that helped set up Golden Tate's dramatic touchdown pass to Sidney Rice, his first sack of the year.
The fifth round draft pick is being widely heralded as one of the best in the league. Sherman has only allowed 26 receptions despite being thrown at 54 times(48.1%) and opposing passers have a rating of just 46.1 when throwing at him, Pro Football Focus reports. The Jets were unable to complete any passes against him Sunday, and he batted two balls away along with his interception. Sherman also made three tackles. His four interceptions are tied for third overall in the league.
Bonneville Media encourages site users to express their opinions by posting comments. Our goal is to maintain a civil dialogue in which readers feel comfortable. At times, the comments can descend to personal attacks. Please do not engage in such behavior. We encourage your thoughtful comments which: have a positive and constructive tone, are on topic, are respectful toward others and their opinions. Bonneville reserves the right to remove comments which do not conform to these criteria.
- Brock Huard
'No way in the world' that Russell Wilson is No. 51
- Bob and Groz
Is replacing Zduriencik the right move for M's?
- John Clayton
Video: Clayton trains for his big moment at Safeco
- Seattle drops 7th straight in 9-5 loss to Texas
- Berkman, Baker power Texas past Seattle 9-5
- Seattle designates Andino calls up Sucre, Triunfel
- With Andino reportedly on waivers and Miller on the move, what's next for the Mariners?
- Law: Zduriencik's seat 'getting hotter by the day'
- Zduriencik says Ackley, Harang staying put for now
- More Seattle Mariners »
- Seattle MF Evans added to US training camp roster
- Johnson scores twice as Sounders beat FC Dallas
- Neagle's two goals lifts Sounders over Earthquakes
- Traore lifts Sounders to 1-0 win over Sporting KC
- Martin lifts Sounders past Rapids 1-0
- Sounders sign former Virginia forward Will Bates
- More Sounders FC »