Updated Dec 5, 2012 - 9:20 am
Russell Wilson takes on teen texting and driving
Seahawks QB Russell Wilson is tackling a new challenge off the field: teen texting and driving.
The amazing rookie is lending his talents to a new campaign encouraging students at four Seattle high schools to pledge not to text and drive.
Wilson has partnered with Verizon Wireless on the "Save it Seattle" campaign that includes West Seattle, Franklin, Roosevelt and Chief Sealth High Schools. He'll visit with students in January at the school that gets the most pledges.
"Just like football, your eyes and hands are critical to safe driving. That's why I take this pledge to stop texting and driving," Wilson says in the video posted on a new website where students can sign up for the pledge.
Research finds 13 percent of drivers under 20 involved in car wrecks in 2011 admitted to texting or talking on their mobile phones at the time of the accident, while a troubling 77 percent are very or somewhat confident they can safely text and drive.
Follow Josh Kerns, MyNorthwest.com Reporter
Please login below with your Facebook, Twitter, Google+ or Disqus account. Existing MyNorthwest account holders will need to create a new Disqus account or use one of the social logins provided below. Thank you.
- Shannon Drayer
What to make of Cano's meeting with Mariners
- Wyman, Mike and Moore
'Russellmania' gets one Seahawk star treatment
- Brock Huard
Chalk Talk: Wilson and Baldwin beat Saints' blitz
- Watch a live stream of 'The Huddle'
- Person of Interest: 49ers' Colin Kaepernick
- 'Russellmania' gets one Seahawk the star treatment
- Seahawks notebook: Percy Harvin held out of practice
- 49ers' Joe Looney takes on key offensive line role
- Chalk Talk: Wilson and Baldwin beat the Saints' blitz
- More Seattle Seahawks »
- Willie Bloomquist talks about his return and hints at more moves to come
- Mariners' Jack Zduriencik isn't tipping his hand
- Rick Rizzs and Toys for Kids make thousands of area children happy at Christmas
- Mariners notebook: Robinson Cano talk heating up
- Seattle hires Wilson as minor league coach
- Notebook: Mariners close to signing Willie Bloomquist
- More Seattle Mariners »