Updated Dec 5, 2012 - 9:20 am
Russell Wilson takes on teen texting and driving
Seahawks QB Russell Wilson is tackling a new challenge off the field: teen texting and driving.
The amazing rookie is lending his talents to a new campaign encouraging students at four Seattle high schools to pledge not to text and drive.
Wilson has partnered with Verizon Wireless on the "Save it Seattle" campaign that includes West Seattle, Franklin, Roosevelt and Chief Sealth High Schools. He'll visit with students in January at the school that gets the most pledges.
"Just like football, your eyes and hands are critical to safe driving. That's why I take this pledge to stop texting and driving," Wilson says in the video posted on a new website where students can sign up for the pledge.
Research finds 13 percent of drivers under 20 involved in car wrecks in 2011 admitted to texting or talking on their mobile phones at the time of the accident, while a troubling 77 percent are very or somewhat confident they can safely text and drive.
Follow Josh Kerns, MyNorthwest.com Reporter
Please login below with your Facebook, Twitter, Google+ or Disqus account. Existing MyNorthwest account holders will need to create a new Disqus account or use one of the social logins provided below. Thank you.
- Danny O'Neil
Should the Seahawks have let the 49ers score?
- The Pete Carroll Show
Surgery upcoming for Seahawks' K.J. Wright
- Shannon Drayer
M's notes, links from Day 1 of the winter meetings
- Should the Seahawks have let the 49ers score?
- What we learned from the Seahawks' loss to the 49ers
- Seahawks will wait and see with center Max Unger
- 49ers hand out cards telling fans to sit down
- Seahawks' K.J. Wright to have surgery on broken foot
- Seahawks burned again by 49ers' Frank Gore
- More Seattle Seahawks »
- Mariners' statement from Zduriencik on Times article
- For Mariners, plenty of work to be done in Orlando
- Ten things you should know about Robinson Cano
- Pundits weigh in on Mariners' deal with Robinson Cano
- Reports: Mariners land Robinson Cano on 10-year deal
- What to make of Cano's meeting with Mariners
- More Seattle Mariners »