Updated Feb 27, 2013 - 1:32 pm
Seahawks coach Pete Carroll visits Capitol
OLYMPIA, Wash. (AP) - Seahawks coach Pete Carroll visited the Capitol and met with lawmakers, asking them for state funding to help expand a youth outreach program he heads.
He visited both the House and Senate chambers on Wednesday, and also briefly met with Gov. Jay Inslee.
Carroll started "A Better Seattle," in September 2011 in partnership with the YMCA of Greater Seattle and the Seattle Youth Violence Prevention Initiative. The program hires street outreach workers in Seattle and south King County in an effort to reduce gang and youth violence. It's modeled on a program Carroll started in Los Angeles while coaching at the University of Southern California.
Carroll said he'd like to expand the program across the state. While at the Capitol, the Senate passed a resolution honoring the Seahawks. When later asked how much he was seeking, Carroll wouldn't say, other than "we'll take as much as we can get."
(Copyright 2013 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)
Please login below with your Facebook, Twitter, Google+ or Disqus account. Existing MyNorthwest account holders will need to create a new Disqus account or use one of the social logins provided below. Thank you.
- Brady Henderson
Seahawks burned again by 49ers' Frank Gore
- Brady Henderson
Seahawks notebook: Penalties add up in loss
- Shannon Drayer
M's should be busy at baseball's winter meetings
- Seahawks burned again by 49ers' Frank Gore
- 5 things to know after 49ers edge Seahawks 19-17
- Seahawks' slugfest loss an example of what to expect
- Seahawks notebook: 'The penalties, they killed us'
- Column: Road to Super Bowl still through Seattle
- 49ers edge Seahawks 19-17 after late field goal
- More Seattle Seahawks »
- For Mariners, plenty of work to be done in Orlando
- Ten things you should know about Robinson Cano
- Pundits weigh in on Mariners' deal with Robinson Cano
- Reports: Mariners land Robinson Cano on 10-year deal
- What to make of Cano's meeting with Mariners
- Willie Bloomquist talks about his return and hints at more moves to come
- More Seattle Mariners »