Updated Feb 27, 2013 - 1:32 pm
Seahawks coach Pete Carroll visits Capitol
OLYMPIA, Wash. (AP) - Seahawks coach Pete Carroll visited the Capitol and met with lawmakers, asking them for state funding to help expand a youth outreach program he heads.
He visited both the House and Senate chambers on Wednesday, and also briefly met with Gov. Jay Inslee.
Carroll started "A Better Seattle," in September 2011 in partnership with the YMCA of Greater Seattle and the Seattle Youth Violence Prevention Initiative. The program hires street outreach workers in Seattle and south King County in an effort to reduce gang and youth violence. It's modeled on a program Carroll started in Los Angeles while coaching at the University of Southern California.
Carroll said he'd like to expand the program across the state. While at the Capitol, the Senate passed a resolution honoring the Seahawks. When later asked how much he was seeking, Carroll wouldn't say, other than "we'll take as much as we can get."
(Copyright 2013 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)
Please login below with your Facebook, Twitter, Google+ or Disqus account. Existing MyNorthwest account holders will need to create a new Disqus account or use one of the social logins provided below. Thank you.
- Dominguez homers to lead Astros over Mariners
- Paxton and Walker optimistic they will be cleared to throw this week
- M's coaches on changes needed if transfer rule stays
- Mariners notebook: Brad Miller gets his first day off
- M's notebook: Updates on Iwakuma, Paxton and more
- Maurer to start for Mariners on Sunday
- More Seattle Mariners »
- What do the Seahawks have planned for Pryor?
- Seahawks' preseason dates, times announced
- Seahawks' Zach Miller glad to be back after pay cut
- Seahawks Russell Wilson most popular pro athlete in Washington state
- 3 thoughts on the Seahawks' trade for Terrelle Pryor
- Nevada man sues Seahawks, NFL for $50 million over limiting playoff ticket sales
- More Seattle Seahawks »