Updated Aug 16, 2013 - 10:44 am
New NFL bag policy will be enforced at Seahawks game Saturday
From now on, you can only bring in a very small clutch bag, or a clear plastic bag, during games.
The NFL's Chief Security Officer, Jeff Miller, recently did an interview to explain why they decided on such tight restrictions.
"This year, we were looking at our entry point and our screening policy and right around that time we had the terrorist attack in Boston. We certainly had to acknowledge that," says Miller.
Even the clear bag can't be any larger than 12 inches by 12 inches. So, how did they decide on that size?
"The way we came about these parameters are, we looked at a way to allow people, if they wanted to bring a private item, they could bring a clutch purse which is about the size of a hand," says Miller. "In addition, they can bring either a freezer bag that is a one-gallon freezer bag or a tote bag 12 by 6 by 12. This bag will allow you to bring anything that you think you need to bring. It just is clear so we can see it."
Even diaper bags and seat cushions with pockets are now banned from games.
Some have said the bag is unfairly harsh on female fans because they tend to carry more private items, more than would fit in a bag the size of your hand. Miller says he doesn't think so. He says they value all of the fans.
"One of the things that's driving this, in addition to the public safety element, is the fact that fans have told us they value their safety. They've also told us they want to get into the stadium quicker. If we change this policy, which we're doing, we're going to be able to move fans more quickly through the gates because it's a lot easier to screen these clear bags you can see into."
The Seahawks say at the games this Saturday and on Sept. 15, they will have staff hand out one approved clear bag per person at the entry gates.
They will also have three temporary bag check stations, so if you forget to leave your stuff in the car, they'll hold on to it for you until the end of the game.
Follow Kim Shepard, KIRO Radio Reporter
Please login below with your Facebook, Twitter, Google+ or Disqus account. Existing MyNorthwest account holders will need to create a new Disqus account or use one of the social logins provided below. Thank you.
- Report: Seahawks to re-sign Anthony McCoy
- Seahawks' Luke Willson agrees to go to high school prom
- Seahawks keep Michael Bennett with four-year deal
- Report: Seahawks favorites for Michael Bennett
- Trading for Graham would cost the Seahawks a fortune
- Former Seahawks DE Red Bryant signs with Jaguars
- More Seattle Seahawks »
- Will Miller or Franklin be the M's starting shortstop?
- Mariners' pitchers have a new focus under Waits
- ESPN's Kurkjian: Corey Hart 'crucial' for M's offense
- Notebook: Felix, Seager remember first time they faced
- Paxton says September success gives him confidence
- Mariners notebook: Rodney ready for a strong start
- More Seattle Mariners »