Updated Jan 13, 2012 - 10:51 am
How much will it cost to keep 'Beast Mode'?
Will the Seahawks reward Lynch with a nice contract or will he land a better deal elsewhere?
Hall of Fame quarterback Warren Moon joined "Bob and Groz" on Thursday and gave this perspective.
"I think the price tag has gone up, and if you were going to get something done, the best time would have been during the season," Moon said.
"Once a guy gets in that free agent market and people start talking in his ears and throwing money at him, you can change people's minds."
Lynch told us after the last game he likes the direction the Seahawks are headed with a young, talented offensive line. That doesn't necessarily mean Lynch is willing to give Seattle a hometown discount.
Looking at other elite running backs in the NFL, here are some of the dollar figures which include salaries and signing bonuses:
Adrian Peterson, $10,720,000
Steven Jackson, $7,200,000
Darren McFadden, $7,055,000
Michael Turner, $5,000,000
Maurice Jones-Drew, $4,050,000
Jamaal Charles, $3,350,000
Lynch was the league's seventh-leading rusher in 2011.
Keith Myers of the Seahawks fan site 12thmanrising.com offered a 5-year, $30 million contract proposal for Lynch and the team to consider.
Seattle should have some cash freed up assuming they turn loose quarterback Charlie Whitehurst and his $4 million salary. They have to address several free agents, including defensive end Red Bryant and linebacker David Hawthorne.
Lynch's bruising, punishing running style concerns me. No doubt, Seahawks fans remember the team giving 29-year-young Shaun Alexander a long-term deal, then his productivity declined.
However, Lynch is just 25, and gives Seattle a physical running identity coach Pete Carroll is looking for. I say the Seahawks need to keep "Beast Mode" in the backfield.
Follow Bill Swartz, 710 ESPN Seattle
Please login below with your Facebook, Twitter, Google+ or Disqus account. Existing MyNorthwest account holders will need to create a new Disqus account or use one of the social logins provided below. Thank you.
- Shannon Drayer
What to make of Cano's meeting with Mariners
- Wyman, Mike and Moore
'Russellmania' gets one Seahawk star treatment
- Brock Huard
Chalk Talk: Wilson and Baldwin beat Saints' blitz
- Watch a live stream of 'The Huddle'
- Person of Interest: 49ers' Colin Kaepernick
- 'Russellmania' gets one Seahawk the star treatment
- Seahawks notebook: Percy Harvin held out of practice
- 49ers' Joe Looney takes on key offensive line role
- Chalk Talk: Wilson and Baldwin beat the Saints' blitz
- More Seattle Seahawks »
- Willie Bloomquist talks about his return and hints at more moves to come
- Mariners' Jack Zduriencik isn't tipping his hand
- Rick Rizzs and Toys for Kids make thousands of area children happy at Christmas
- Mariners notebook: Robinson Cano talk heating up
- Seattle hires Wilson as minor league coach
- Notebook: Mariners close to signing Willie Bloomquist
- More Seattle Mariners »