Share this story...
Latest News

Gunman and victim fought before Seattle nightclub killing

Police say a fight between parents led up to the deadly shooting at a Seattle nightspot Sunday. (Image via Twilight Exit Facebook)

Police say a fight between parents led up to the deadly shooting at a Seattle nightspot Sunday.

Killed at the Twilight Exit, in Seattle’s Central District, was James Anderson, 24. Deputy Police Chief Nick Metz says a few hours before the nightclub shooting, Anderson had a fight with his girlfriend and then left the home, just a few blocks from the club.

Listen: Witnesses, near victims share terrifying account of Twilight Exit shooting

“The female stayed behind and out of anger, she ended up trashing the house and then left the home and in leaving the home, left their nine-month old baby at the home by itself,” said Metz.

Sometime later, police say Anderson showed up at Twilight Exit, shot a bouncer at the club and then shot his girlfriend, identified as a 24-year-old woman. Both gunshot victims remain hospitalized at Harborview Medical Center with non-life threatening injuries.

Numerous calls went out to 911 and Metz says officers arrived within four minutes, entering the bar from the alley almost immediately, shouting “Seattle Police” multiple times.

Police say the first officer into the club was Anthony Ducre, who was fired upon by Anderson and returned multiple shots, killing Anderson. Anderson was pronounced dead at the scene.

According to Metz, Officer Ducre received an award for courage in 2012 from the Seattle Police Foundation for his actions during a confrontation with a man at Seattle University.

Police say recent shootings have prepared officers to respond to what they call an “active shooting scene” such as what happened at Twilight Exit.

“We’ve had active shooters here in our city before with Cafe Racer and our officers knew if they didn’t get in there quickly that there could be more than one, two casualties,” said Metz.

“Mr. Anderson has a history of several arrests including domestic violence, no felony convictions,” said Metz. “It should be noted that Anderson was ineligible to possess a firearm.”

Police say the gun Anderson used in the shooting was a 9mm Smith and Wesson, which did not belong to Anderson but was not stolen.

Police also revealed that there was an active no-contact order issued to either the woman or the man who was killed. Metz says the woman has been referred to state Child Protective Services for leaving her baby unattended at home.

Most Popular