Updated Feb 6, 2013 - 11:36 am
Lauren Jackson to miss 2013 WNBA season
SEATTLE (AP) - The Seattle Storm will be without three-time league MVP Lauren Jackson for the 2013 season while she stays in Australia to recover from recent hamstring surgery.
The Storm made the roster announcement Wednesday. Her contract has been suspended and she is expected to play for Seattle in the 2014 season.
Jackson underwent surgery last month in Melbourne. She is expected to make a full recovery, but in a statement from the Storm, Jackson said she was not going to be "fit, ready or confident" for the WNBA season.
Seattle coach and general manager Brian Agler said he supports Jackson's decision to take the time to let her body heal.
Jackson has not played a full season since 2010, when Seattle won its second league title. In nine games last year after the London Olympics, she averaged a career-low 10.2 points.
(Copyright 2013 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)
Please login below with your Facebook, Twitter, Google+ or Disqus account. Existing MyNorthwest account holders will need to create a new Disqus account or use one of the social logins provided below. Thank you.
- Wyman, Mike and Moore
'Russellmania' gets one Seahawk star treatment
- Brock Huard
Chalk Talk: Wilson and Baldwin beat Saints' blitz
- Shannon Drayer
Mariners' Jack Zduriencik isn't tipping his hand
- Seahawks notebook: Percy Harvin held out of practice
- 49ers' Joe Looney takes on key offensive line role
- Chalk Talk: Wilson and Baldwin beat the Saints' blitz
- 49ers remind fans about 'home field advantage plan'
- 49ers prepare to stay composed in emotional game
- What we learned from Seahawks' win over Saints
- More Seattle Seahawks »
- Rick Rizzs and Toys for Kids make thousands of area children happy at Christmas
- Mariners notebook: Robinson Cano talk heating up
- Seattle hires Wilson as minor league coach
- Notebook: Mariners close to signing Willie Bloomquist
- Howard Lincoln on the Mariners' search for a president
- What's next in the Mariners' search for a president?
- More Seattle Mariners »