Updated Mar 12, 2013 - 3:08 pm
Seattle's Sue Bird to miss 2013 season
SEATTLE (AP) - The Seattle Storm will be down another All-Star after the team announced Tuesday that Sue Bird will miss the 2013 season because she needs knee surgery.
Bird will undergo surgery to remove a cyst from her right knee later this spring. No specific date has been announced for the surgery and the expected recovery time is six months.
Seattle will already be without former MVP Lauren Jackson, who is choosing to remain in Australia and recover from hamstring surgery.
Bird is currently playing overseas and will complete her commitment because she is not experiencing pain in the knee. In a statement from the team, Bird says doctors have told her if the surgery is taken care of as soon as her overseas commitment is done, she can avoid future "debilitating consequences."
(Copyright 2013 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)
Please login below with your Facebook, Twitter, Google+ or Disqus account. Existing MyNorthwest account holders will need to create a new Disqus account or use one of the social logins provided below. Thank you.
- McHugh strikes out 12 as Astros beat Seattle 5-2
- Dominguez homers to lead Astros over Mariners
- Paxton and Walker optimistic they will be cleared to throw this week
- M's coaches on changes needed if transfer rule stays
- Mariners notebook: Brad Miller gets his first day off
- M's notebook: Updates on Iwakuma, Paxton and more
- More Seattle Mariners »
- What do the Seahawks have planned for Pryor?
- Seahawks' preseason dates, times announced
- Seahawks' Zach Miller glad to be back after pay cut
- Seahawks Russell Wilson most popular pro athlete in Washington state
- 3 thoughts on the Seahawks' trade for Terrelle Pryor
- Nevada man sues Seahawks, NFL for $40 million over limiting playoff ticket sales
- More Seattle Seahawks »