Updated Mar 12, 2013 - 3:08 pm
Seattle's Sue Bird to miss 2013 season
SEATTLE (AP) - The Seattle Storm will be down another All-Star after the team announced Tuesday that Sue Bird will miss the 2013 season because she needs knee surgery.
Bird will undergo surgery to remove a cyst from her right knee later this spring. No specific date has been announced for the surgery and the expected recovery time is six months.
Seattle will already be without former MVP Lauren Jackson, who is choosing to remain in Australia and recover from hamstring surgery.
Bird is currently playing overseas and will complete her commitment because she is not experiencing pain in the knee. In a statement from the team, Bird says doctors have told her if the surgery is taken care of as soon as her overseas commitment is done, she can avoid future "debilitating consequences."
(Copyright 2013 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)
Please login below with your Facebook, Twitter, Google+ or Disqus account. Existing MyNorthwest account holders will need to create a new Disqus account or use one of the social logins provided below. Thank you.
- Seahawks with the most to gain: Christine Michael
- Sidney Rice agrees to one-year deal with Seahawks
- Sidney Rice returns to the Seahawks with reported 1-year-deal
- Video: Seahawks stay mum on Lockette with TMZ paparazzi
- Seahawks with the most to gain: Byron Maxwell
- Seahawks should bring back Sidney Rice at a discount
- More Seattle Seahawks »