Updated Mar 12, 2013 - 3:08 pm
Seattle's Sue Bird to miss 2013 season
SEATTLE (AP) - The Seattle Storm will be down another All-Star after the team announced Tuesday that Sue Bird will miss the 2013 season because she needs knee surgery.
Bird will undergo surgery to remove a cyst from her right knee later this spring. No specific date has been announced for the surgery and the expected recovery time is six months.
Seattle will already be without former MVP Lauren Jackson, who is choosing to remain in Australia and recover from hamstring surgery.
Bird is currently playing overseas and will complete her commitment because she is not experiencing pain in the knee. In a statement from the team, Bird says doctors have told her if the surgery is taken care of as soon as her overseas commitment is done, she can avoid future "debilitating consequences."
(Copyright 2013 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)
Please login below with your Facebook, Twitter, Google+ or Disqus account. Existing MyNorthwest account holders will need to create a new Disqus account or use one of the social logins provided below. Thank you.
- Seahawks should pass on Brandon Browner
- Browner's reinstatement includes four-game ban
- Golden Tate states his case for a nice contract
- Report: Seahawks tender RFA Jeron Johnson
- Russell Wilson's Rangers jersey a top MLB seller
- Seahawks QB Russell Wilson turned down 'Dancing with the Stars'
- More Seattle Seahawks »
- Mariners notebook: McClendon 'anxious' to see Walker
- Mariners notebook: Roster reduced to 55
- 'Cactus League Report' recap and podcast
- Mariners notebook: Taijuan Walker on his way back
- Mariners' outfield defense can be much better in 2014
- Mariners notebook: Seager just about ready for action
- More Seattle Mariners »