Updated Aug 13, 2013 - 5:59 pm
UW's Seferian-Jenkins breaks pinkie, needs surgery
SEATTLE (AP) - Washington tight end Austin Seferian-Jenkins has a small fracture in his right pinkie and will need surgery, putting his status for the season opener in doubt.
Huskies coach Steve Sarkisian told reporters after practice Tuesday about Seferian-Jenkins' injury, which was suffered in practice a day earlier. Seferian-Jenkins sat out a scrimmage on Tuesday.
"He'll be out for some amount of time. He came out with a good attitude, doing all the conditioning work, all the fundamental stuff from a footwork standpoint but he won't be catching balls for a while," Sarkisian said.
Sarkisian said he hoped to know more later in the week.
Last season, Seferian-Jenkins caught 69 passes for 850 yards _ both single-season records for Washington tight ends _ and seven touchdowns. He was one of three finalists for the Mackey Award given to the top tight end in the country and was named a third-team all-American by the AP.
Seferian-Jenkins' status for the opener against Boise State _ the first game back in renovated Husky Stadium _ was already in question after his arrest and guilty plea on a DUI charge in the offseason. Sarkisian has not publicly announced if Seferian-Jenkins would face any suspension because of his arrest.
If Seferian-Jenkins can't go in the opener, the Huskies will lose one of their biggest pass-catching options. In last December's Las Vegas Bowl against Boise State, Seferian-Jenkins had six catches for 61 yards and a touchdown.
(Copyright 2013 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)
Please login below with your Facebook, Twitter, Google+ or Disqus account. Existing MyNorthwest account holders will need to create a new Disqus account or use one of the social logins provided below. Thank you.
- Danny O'Neil
Giants game will be prime opportunity for Seahawks
- Jim Moore
Rooting against Huskies' Petersen won't be easy
- Bob and Groz
Willson showing why the Seahawks wanted him
- Seahawks notebook: Percy Harvin sits out again
- Giants game will be a prime opportunity for Seahawks
- Seahawks fans outraged by depiction in Dr. Dre commercial
- Luke Willson showing why the Seahawks wanted him
- Hawk Talk: Live Seahawks chat with Danny O'Neil
- Should the Seahawks have let the 49ers score?
- More Seattle Seahawks »
- Seattle signs Hart, acquires Morrison
- Mariners agree to deal with Corey Hart, reportedly acquire Logan Morrison in trade
- Report paints an ugly picture of Mariners' front office
- Zduriencik addresses Wedge's comments, Cano's deal and other potential Mariners moves
- Mariners notes: In defense of Cano's contract
- Mariners notes, links from Day 1 of winter meetings
- More Seattle Mariners »